Is The Miners Strike Still Vivid In Your Mind?

Thatcher won 43.9% of the vote in '79, 42.4% in '83 and 42.2% of the vote in '87. Her popular vote increased after the miners strikes in '87 going from 13,697,923 votes in '79 to 13,012,316 in '83 and finally jumped by 3/4 of a million votes to 13,760,935 in '87.

Compare that to Blairs highest percentage of 43.2% back in 1997.

Saying she never gained a large share of the vote is well totally wrong and her support in terms of popular vote, rose after she dealt with the miners strikes.

Don't try and change history as it will degrade your argument.

I claimed she did not gain a majority of the popular vote-this assertion is vindicated by the data you supplied showing that in each election over 50% voted for other parties.Thanks for that:hihi:

our business was funded by the overtime earned policing the miners strike

Running a brothel for the imported bobbies made me my fortune as well. They dont just screw miners and scouse football fans.

The one who takes the cake for me though is the bobby who screwed the home secretaries wife.

The only ones they wont screw are the criminals they work with ........ they really are a breed on their own arent they.

Why does there continue to be this bitterness/hatred and the inability to let the past go?

Yes, what happened all those years was harsh and in places, damn right nasty. I should know, I grew up during the unrest and lived in a community that suffered as a result of mass redundancies. However, old wounds have now healed, people have moved on with their lives and most have done a lot better for themselves as a result of losing their job all those years ago.

Coming from a mining community, I am not bitter about what happened nor about the hardships my family faced. Even if I was, what good would it achieve? The same could be said of my family and those who used to work the mines, all suffered at the time, but none continue to feel bitter or feel the need to discuss the past over and over.

I think the minority, with a big political chip, should get over it and think about channeling their energy into something positive and constructive :)

I claimed she did not gain a majority of the popular vote-this assertion is vindicated by the data you supplied showing that in each election over 50% voted for other parties.Thanks for that:hihi:

So every government since 1931 was illegitimate in your eyes then.

What you are really saying is "I [you] have no understanding of how our democracy works and so I will assume what I want to try and make my invalid point seem worthwhile"

If I were you I would go back to school until you have at least some knowledge of history and how democracy works.

Archived