Is The Miners Strike Still Vivid In Your Mind?

but at least the country was saved.

You call what we have now saved? We have feral children and adults with no respect for themselves or anybody else. That's the dog eat dog philosophy which that woman created during miners conflict

You call what we have now saved? We have feral children and adults with no respect for themselves or anybody else.

is Mrs Thatcher still responsible or did we have the other lot in charge in between?

the great loss of childhood innocence and discipline has it`s roots in your generation.

the dog eat dog thing is just ingenious and nothing to do with the Thatcher era

You call what we have now saved? We have feral children and adults with no respect for themselves or anybody else. That's the dog eat dog philosophy which that woman created during miners conflict

Yes I remeber it well the utopia of the 1970's

The 1970s decade refers to the years from 1970 to 1979

It was the decade of the Space Hopper, the Ford Cortina, Raleigh Chopper bikes, the record player and cassette recorder.

Events

It was a decade of strikes - postal workers, miners and dustmen. It ended with the 'winter of discontent' in 1979 when ITV went off the air for five months. A three-day week was imposed during February 1972 to save on electricity at the start of the miners strike.

During the summer of 1976 the weather turned so dry that water supplies reached critical low levels.

In 1977, the whole nation celebrated the Queen's Silver Jubilee with street parties.

Coal / Electricity

Many coal mines closed because the need for coal in Britain was no longer as great as it had once been. Electricity was now generated by power stations burning oil or gas from the North Sea or in some cases by the use of nuclear energy.

excellent guide book to the build up to 1979

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Lights-Went-Out-Seventies/dp/0571221378/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359237495&sr=1-1

Beckett's list of sources, including books, articles, and TV and radio broadcasts from the time, runs to no less than 25 pages, and the book took 5 years to write. He personally interviewed several major players of the era, including Ted Heath, Denis Healey, Jack Jones (recently deceased), and Arthur Scargill

I don't think these changes can be put down to one person. And I certainly don't blame the strike for the lack of discipline and courtesy that is prevalent in some parts of society. IMO that started with the freedoms we all welcomed in the 60s.

I was bringing up two children in the 70s and we lived for part of that decade in a Doncaster pit village. By then, the miners were well paid - which was right and fair. However, the NCB didn't just pay the people who did the dangerous jobs well, they paid everyone, especially their management, well above the average rates at the time. Coal House was where every clerical worker in Doncaster aspired to be employed. They, like the miners, were well paid and got the same perks of a coal or heating allowance, as did the management and uncle Tom Cobleigh etc.

UK produced coal could probably have been competitive if the costs had been kept reasonable. If the unions had taken things more slowly, the pit closures would have gone ahead, but the profitable ones would have stayed open much longer. There has been plenty published about the strike, not everyone was convinced that Arthur was the knight in shining armour and Maggie the villain. Its not as simple as that.

I don't think these changes can be put down to one person. And I certainly don't blame the strike for the lack of discipline and courtesy that is prevalent in some parts of society. IMO that started with the freedoms we all welcomed in the 60s.

I was bringing up two children in the 70s and we lived for part of that decade in a Doncaster pit village. By then, the miners were well paid - which was right and fair. However, the NCB didn't just pay the people who did the dangerous jobs well, they paid everyone, especially their management, well above the average rates at the time. Coal House was where every clerical worker in Doncaster aspired to be employed. They, like the miners, were well paid and got the same perks of a coal or heating allowance, as did the management and uncle Tom Cobleigh etc.

UK produced coal could probably have been competitive if the costs had been kept reasonable. If the unions had taken things more slowly, the pit closures would have gone ahead, but the profitable ones would have stayed open much longer. There has been plenty published about the strike, not everyone was convinced that Arthur was the knight in shining armour and Maggie the villain. Its not as simple as that.

Be careful, common sense like that will see the locals outside your house with torches and pitchforks.

well said.........

She won in 79,83 and 87 but never gained a large share of the vote.If you read the post I said your comment was pompous not you.Please stick to the facts!:hihi:

the Tory vote between 1979-92 (and 1992 was the election where the Conservatives got the most votes in all those four elections) was the highest anybody has ever got since the Liberals started getting votes again in 1974. Thatcher got a bigger share of the vote in 1979 than Bair got in 1997, but a majority of only 43, not the 179 Blair got. Nobody has much if any chance of getting over 40 per cent, never mind the dizzy heights of 43 per cent, in the next election that the Tories got in EVERY SINGLE ELECTION between 79 and 92. That Tory vote will go down as the most loyal ever in British electoral history.

the Tory vote between 1979-92 (and 1992 was the election where the Conservatives got the most votes in all those four elections) was the highest anybody has ever got since the Liberals started getting votes again in 1974. Thatcher got a bigger share of the vote in 1979 than Bair got in 1997, but a majority of only 43, not the 179 Blair got. Nobody has much if any chance of getting over 40 per cent, never mind the dizzy heights of 43 per cent, in the next election that the Tories got in EVERY SINGLE ELECTION between 79 and 92. That Tory vote will go down as the most loyal ever in British electoral history.

Did they have a popular majority?NO!Reflect on what point you were attempting to prove,and the relevance it has to the Mineworkers' strike of 1983-4?

Archived