Rotherham or Bradford

samg123

I would suggest living in Chapeltown in the outskirts of Sheffield if you are thinking of working in Rotherham. It's a nice area and close to the motorway system and Rotherham is easily accessible.

I wouldn't even contemplate working or living in Bradford but if you did end up working in Bradford then I would suggest that you live in Leeds (Morley/Headingly/ Adel are nice areas) and commute to Bradford.

You need to say what you want out of it. Close to town for going out, or close to the Peaks for countryside?

Any hobbies?

City centre living or Quiet house with drive?

Driving to work or public transport?

Where are your offices?

Budget?

Expectations? I live in Burngreave, which is regarded as a bit of a dump, but it has great shops, good transport links and is close to town. I have friends in Hunters Bar, which is much nicer, but much more expensive and a bit of a pain if commuting to Rovrum.

More info is really needed.

:)

- Well yes i do enjoy going out but i don't care if I'm not in the city centre. Although it would be nice to have a shop close by.

- Hobbies....well just normal sociable things really like cinema, meals out, drinks out etc so from that point of view it doesn't really matter why i am.

- the office is at Callflex Business Park, Doncaster Road, Manvers, Rotherham if that helps??? it doesn't help me lol because i have no idea.

- Budget....I would say mid range. I would prefer not to be in an area that looks like one huge council estate, not that i have anything against council estates, as i was brought up on one for half of my life. I just prefer leafy i guess you could say middle class areas. That said I really don't earn a lot of money so not too expensive.

- At the moment i use public transport to get into work although i would happily drive if that was not an option. Although I'm not sure if there will be parking at my new workplace yet.

Anyway, thanks again all :)

Anyone would think Sheffield is the centre of the universe the way you people blab on. Rotherham is just as good/bad as Sheffield. Its about time people realised this.

As for the op, visit both Rotherham and Sheffield and make up your mind.

PS, public transport to Manvers from Sheffield is virtually nil, yet there are buses every 5 minutes on the 22 service from Rotherham which takes around 20 minutes at peak times. Traffic through Manvers can be a nightmare at kicking out time at places like Ventura and TSC.

Wath upon Dearne and Swinton are nice areas of Rotherham which are pretty close to Manvers.

If you're going to be working in Manvers, that's the opposite side of Rotherham so commuting from most parts of Sheffield is not ideal. I would recommend you have a look at Thorpe Hesley and Scholes. These are decent leafy suburbs of Rotherham which are a short drive from Manvers area.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Walking distance to Manvers is loads of new housing estates however Wath is a bit of a **** hole TBH.

I'd look at Birdwell(Barnsley) or Chapeltown(Sheffield) for easiest commute but for value for money i'd be looking Bramley/Ravenfield areas as nice areas of Rotherham and got a lot for your money compared to Sheffield.

You would probably need to drive from all these areas though.

I live on a private estate in West Melton which is a stones throw away from Manvers, it is excellent for commuting to Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley etc. You could walk to work!

I moved here 2 yrs ago and it is beautiful, church bells ringing, farms, shops. It's a 5 minute distance from a 24hr Tesco and close to Wombwell and Wath for markets, shopping blah blah blah. Lovely areas and the best move I ever made. Good luck ...

I live on a private estate in West Melton which is a stones throw away from Manvers, it is excellent for commuting to Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley etc. You could walk to work!

I moved here 2 yrs ago and it is beautiful, church bells ringing, farms, shops. It's a 5 minute distance from a 24hr Tesco and close to Wombwell and Wath for markets, shopping blah blah blah. Lovely areas and the best move I ever made. Good luck ...

It is a cookie cutter estate for the Stepford Wives?

In terms of cities it's more a question of Sheffield or Leeds. Bradford is part of the Leeds region; Rotherham is part of Sheffield region. Both regions have their pluses and minuses (see regular discussion elsewhere on SF).

As towns in their own right I'd say Bradford borough has a lot more going for it than Rotherham. It has tremendous scenery and architecture, a university, some nice leafy suburbs (eg Bingley), an airport with plenty of flights, top quality art galleries/museums (eg Media museum, Salts Mill), some great curry restaurants and loads of stone buildings rather than red brick. Rotherham has few of those things and is definitely a town rather than a city.

I live in Sheffield and never visit Rotherham (I went for a day trip about a year ago just to check it out again). If I lived in Leeds I would definitely choose to visit Bradford for some things.

Both places have a generally poor national reputation and their town centres are quite run down at the moment. Bradford is depressed and can't compete with Leeds centre. Rotherham is near to Meadowhall so shopping is poor. Both towns have some really awful post-1960s buidings and housing but then most towns do.

Ravenfield is a nice part of Rotherham,Sheffield is a lot nicer place to live the north of Sheffield is close to Rotherham so no problem getting to work,Bradford is OK if you like Curry houses but its a bit of a dump to be honest.

Archived