Rotherham or Bradford

samg123

Whiston village in rotherham is lovely. Old style setting, stream, old stone houses, post office on the corner, local pubs (chequers is nice) local cricket club surounded by nice views (lovely on a sunday day) if you like cricket. Surrounded by newer whiston houses which is also nice. My family lived there a while. People are say hi but dont know your business! Good and bad in all areas! Ignore people slating local towns, ive had more problem in 'nice' areas of sheffield than i ever had in rotherham. Im open minded. everywhere is a mixture. make up your own mind :)

Guest busdriver1

moved to rotherham from sheffield and my only regret is i did not do it sooner. Dont listen to our biased next door neighbours, Rotherham is great.

Looks like I've got a lot to think about. You've all been incredibly helpful and i am very grateful. I think i need to come up and have a look around the areas one weekend very soon. I'm not too sure about driving there and back in a weekend, will probably get the train although that will probably be quite difficult having to rely on public transport. Anyway, that's something else for me to think about, thanks again.

Transport out to Manvers is a right royal pain and very time consuming so if you can, try living closeby to avoid the inconvenience of public transport.

As for small town mentality, ignore those that say that. It may have been the case many years ago, when it really was a close knit community, however things have changed and there are that many new people there now that it no longer has that mentality.

Guest busdriver1
Transport out to Manvers is a right royal pain and very time consuming so if you can, try living closeby to avoid the inconvenience of public transport.

As for small town mentality, ignore those that say that. It may have been the case many years ago, when it really was a close knit community, however things have changed and there are that many new people there now that it no longer has that mentality.

Buses run every 10 minutes and the First service 22 has journies timed to co-incide with the shift patterns at Manvers. Wekly ticket is approx £5. Journey times approx 20 minutes. Definitely a right royal pain - NOT :roll:

Buses run every 10 minutes and the First service 22 has journies timed to co-incide with the shift patterns at Manvers. Wekly ticket is approx £5. Journey times approx 20 minutes. Definitely a right royal pain - NOT :roll:

Of course, buses never break down, or are ever late. Top this off with grumpy drivers and traffic, what is there not to like :)

An approx 20 minute journey, on top of another leg of commuting. You reckon that's not a pain? Short time, it might be acceptable, but longer term, it's not fun. I know, I did it for over a year.

Why would you go through all that, if you could buy a house near to your place of work.

Whiston village in rotherham is lovely. Old style setting, stream, old stone houses, post office on the corner, local pubs (chequers is nice) local cricket club surounded by nice views (lovely on a sunday day) if you like cricket. Surrounded by newer whiston houses which is also nice. My family lived there a while. People are say hi but dont know your business! Good and bad in all areas! Ignore people slating local towns, ive had more problem in 'nice' areas of sheffield than i ever had in rotherham. Im open minded. everywhere is a mixture. make up your own mind :)

Sounds lovely, thanks. So does Treeton. I've got a lot of places to chose from. Now i just have to hope they offer me the post in Rotherham and not Bradford. From all I've heard Rotherham does seem the better of the two and its handy to have Sheffield so close :)

Guest busdriver1
Of course, buses never break down, or are ever late. Top this off with grumpy drivers and traffic, what is there not to like :)

An approx 20 minute journey, on top of another leg of commuting. You reckon that's not a pain? Short time, it might be acceptable, but longer term, it's not fun. I know, I did it for over a year.

Why would you go through all that, if you could buy a house near to your place of work.

Putting your obvious bias asside there are not many houses at Manvers, there are however many houses in other parts of Rotherham. By posting information about the bus service details I was trying to be of assistance to the OP. He has the freedom to pick somewhere on a bus route or in a commuting distance. P.S. shock horror - cars break down as well. Possibly if he has a more positive attitude he may find it returned byy the drivers he interacts with.

Archived