2 x staffies found near Cystal Peaks*home*

sarahjane

Thanks to a couple of high profile cases, people think dog tags will lead to blackmail and dog theft

In reality putting your mobile number on your dog tag enables another dogwalker to ring you before you give up looking and leave the park/woods/field/wherever

If they escape from the garden, then a chip is useful

The other problem is the large batch of faulty chips, and the 'data protection' issue with the chip companies

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 11:56 ----------

There speaks the voice of reason - yet 80% of people i know do not keep a collar and tag on when the dog is in the house.

Yet thats the place they nearly always run away from.

No it isn't. Lots of them are lost on walks

Escaped dogs should be reported to pound and police,non tagged dogs that are impounded then the owner should be fined twice - once for no tags(by the police) and once for release.imho

collars can be caught and cause strangulation - one reason working dogs are not required to wear them

Thanks to a couple of high profile cases, people think dog tags will lead to blackmail and dog theft

In reality putting your mobile number on your dog tag enables another dogwalker to ring you before you give up looking and leave the park/woods/field/wherever

If they escape from the garden, then a chip is useful

The other problem is the large batch of faulty chips, and the 'data protection' issue with the chip companies

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 11:56 ----------

No it isn't. Lots of them are lost on walks

collars can be caught and cause strangulation - one reason working dogs are not required to wear them

Never said they weren't BUT the vast majority of lost and found dogs on here are runners from the back gardens. Its always amazing how so many lost dogs on walks never appear to be wearing a collar and tag even the ones belonging to so called doggie people.

And yet another excuse for dog owners not to obey the law.I assume strangulation can occur whether the dog is in the house or out on a walk,which makes it irrelevant tbh.

Take your pick wear a collar and tag and not infringe the law or loose your dog.

I've gone for the 'the more things the better' approach with mine.

She has a collar, tag with my address and phone number on and that states she is deaf, a second tag saying she is chipped, and of course a microchip!

I also paid over a £1000 when I first got her, to repace all of my 5ft fences with 6ft fences as she can't half jump!

It still doesn't guarantee anything but at least I feel like I've done all I can.

I must say that if mine went missing and someone found her, then I'd be pretty much guaranteed to find her in the pound....no one would put up with her for more than 5 minutes! :hihi:

I don't want to go back to having them handed in to police stations and such like Strix but would dearly love to see a properly set up organisation which liased closely with the dog wardens to have strays brought into a suitably designed holding place, properly staffed at all times where people could have the opportunity to be reunited with their pets before they are then handed to the local pounds.

I don't want to go back to having them handed in to police stations and such like Strix but would dearly love to see a properly set up organisation which liased closely with the dog wardens to have strays brought into a suitably designed holding place, properly staffed at all times where people could have the opportunity to be reunited with their pets before they are then handed to the local pounds.

how are you proposing this properly staffed facility is paid for though?

I would like to see an arrangement whereby any dog claimed within the hour is exempt from charges. How often is a dog carted back to the pound having been picked up in its own street?

I can't understand how Sheffield gets away with not having a 24hr arrangement as other areas do. It wouldn't be too difficult for volunteer partners to provide holding facilities from 10pm to 8am. I'd prefer Brude to be crated overnight in somebody's garage than left wandering the streets overnight

Our biggest problem in Sheffield is the number of genuinely abandoned dogs, which means the services of our dog warden are geared less towards reuniting list pets than they otherwise would be. How much time should our council waste on trying to find owners who don't want to be found?

As for dogs escaping from gardens, or visitors leaving gates open... All our gates have combination locks so there's no faffing with keys, but nobody can wander in or leave a gate open after leaving a parcel or something. I should probably consider a spring closer for the front gate too, but that's probably something for when we get a new gate

Apologies for any ignorance here, but surely a large problem was created last night by the fact nobody could get the owners information, despite the dog being correctly identifiable by its microchip? I'm wondering whether a cheaper way to solve this problem other than the overnight holding idea, is to have the chip companies provide a limited-information web page so that anyone with a scanner can input the chip number and see just the owners phone number, so that the dog to be returned... Just a thought! x

Apologies for any ignorance here, but surely a large problem was created last night by the fact nobody could get the owners information, despite the dog being correctly identifiable by its microchip? I'm wondering whether a cheaper way to solve this problem other than the overnight holding idea, is to have the chip companies provide a limited-information web page so that anyone with a scanner can input the chip number and see just the owners phone number, so that the dog to be returned... Just a thought! x

There is a cheaper easier alternative to a chip = a dog tag on a collar.

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your postcode is optional (but we would strongly advise that you include it), and your telephone number is also optional (but advisable).

yes Strix the funding for such a place as I would like to see could be a problem, who would pay for it - I just don't know, who could afford to - I just don't know. But wouldn't it be brill if, in this horrible economic climate, such a place were able to be put into place?

I am pleased that this unfortunate episode ,has ended well & that though it people have discussed it & the laws around it .I really hope that improvements can be made & we don't lose the system that's in place ,I don't think that anyone for one minute likes a dog going into the pound ,but its the safest place for them,its the first place l would phone if my dog went missing !!,Unfortunately when people take things into their own hands it can make things harder for the owners of a lost dog as how would they know if the dog had been taken somewhere else ? .One thing i would like to see is a more efficient way of linking lost dogs reported being crossed referenced to dogs reported missing( esp out of hrs)example if you lost your dog on a Friday night & reported it to the 101 service there is ,as far as i know , no way that it could trigger a notice saying that a dog of that description had been reported found (if it had been). i think there is a need for more information regarding what to do if you lose or find a dog out of hours. But the ultimate solution is to make sure you property is escape proof ,hard i know ,& have a collar with tag on your dog . If these two staffies had had collars with tags on they could have been back with their owners within ten min of being found & saved all concerned a lot of anxiety. Hope this all makes sense ,its late + im tired lol

Archived