Fat people comment by Anna Soubry MP - I completely agree!

Of course obesity is linked to poverty, look at a map!

The Tories and Lib Dems are not interested in addressing this though, are they? If they were they would make their supermarket barons/mates sell fruit and veg at affordable prices to the majority, without the massive mark ups.

Did anyone see the Dispatches programme that was on the other night about supermarkets are ripping people off with the prices of fruit and veg?

Lord Sainsbury

Labour

Former government Minister

Former chairman of Sainsbury PLC.

Yep, making 6-8 portions is cheaper than buying 6-8 pre packaged items.

yeh but making 1-2 portions isnt, thats where the problem lies. I eat on my own for the most part and i try and eat as healthy as possible, but when a packet of chicken is costing £4 and mince £3 that you can only make a couple of meals out of it gets expensive. So you end up buying the £1.50 pizza, lasagna or spag bol. even a stir fry can set you back £3.50 a meal if you buy half decent stuff.

I could make a huge batch of chili which i do from time to time but i then either have to eat a lot of chili or freeze most of it which then takes up room in my small freezer.

what i hate even more is when the supermarkets do single portions (supposedly helping people like me out) which are often only 20-30p cheaper than the main full portions.

yeh but making 1-2 portions isnt, thats where the problem lies. I eat on my own for the most part and i try and eat as healthy as possible, but when a packet of chicken is costing £4 and mince £3 that you can only make a couple of meals out of it gets expensive. So you end up buying the £1.50 pizza, lasagna or spag bol. even a stir fry can set you back £3.50 a meal if you buy half decent stuff.

I could make a huge batch of chili which i do from time to time but i then either have to eat a lot of chili or freeze most of it which then takes up room in my small freezer.

what i hate even more is when the supermarkets do single portions (supposedly helping people like me out) which are often only 20-30p cheaper than the main full portions.

It’s always going to be more expensive cooking for one than for a group but there are ways of making it cheaper by cooking more and freezing. Eating fruit is healthy and requires no cooking, tinned fish is cheap and requires no cooking, most veg is cheaper if you buy frozen and you won’t have waste. Get a larger freezer.

It’s always going to be more expensive cooking for one than for a group but there are ways of making it cheaper by cooking more and freezing. Eating fruit is healthy and requires no cooking, tinned fish is cheap and requires no cooking, most veg is cheaper if you buy frozen and you won’t have waste. Get a larger freezer.

I only have a freezer drawer in my fridge, and no room for a separate freezer in my flat. Also, the freezer drawer seems to have stopped working, I checked some stuff in it yesterday and it was squidgy so I now have to throw it away :(

I tend to make enough casseroles and pasta bakes to feed 2 people, and put the leftovers in the fridge for the next day.

I don't buy much meat because it always comes in large packs.

It doesn't cost much to eat well.

A chicken for example will do Sunday roast, sandwiches, curry, then soup made from the carcase.

Cottage pie is a cheap dish.

Stew is very cheap to make, have it once with dumplings, then another day with pancakes.

Home made vegetable soup is cheap.

Liver and onions is cheap.

Toad in the hole is cheap.

Bangers & mash is cheap.

Chicken casserole is cheap.

No need to live out of packets, and I should think much healthier and tastier too.

BRING BACK COOKING IN SCHOOLS, much more important than dare I say it......... religious education !!!

It doesn't cost much to eat well.

A chicken for example will do Sunday roast, sandwiches, curry, then soup made from the carcase.

Cottage pie is a cheap dish.

Stew is very cheap to make, have it once with dumplings, then another day with pancakes.

Home made vegetable soup is cheap.

Liver and onions is cheap.

No need to live out of packets, and I should think much healthier and tastier too.

BRING BACK COOKING IN SCHOOLS, much more important than dare I say it......... religious education !!!

They have sold off all the ovens,and Mrs Muffin has been pensioned off.

Archived