Fat people comment by Anna Soubry MP - I completely agree!

No, I meant fatcist. It's a term I use for people who stereotype. label and attack fat people for purely being fat and have no understanding of or empathy with them. Fat and 'being ginger' are probably the only two remaining visible characteristics you can get away with attacking in this country. If you attacked someone who was of a certain skin colour, or had a club foot, you'd rightly get in to trouble.

I saw a documentary a few years ago about the NHS refusing to treat fat people. An elderly lady who had paid in to the NHS for years and lived a very healthy and active life, experienced problems with her joints in later life, and needed a joint replacement. It was extremely painful for her to exercise, and naturally she put on weight. The NHS then used this as an excuse not to give her the operation. So, they are fatcists too. It's not always as clear cut as you think.

To be fair, an obese person is far more likely to experience difficulties with anaesthesia and healing after the op which is often impaired and lengthened.

This could have been the reasons why surgery was delayed or refused.

Surgeons and anaesthetists will always be reluctant to treat someone who has a high chance of death during or after the op and will always try to find ways of reducing that risk e.g., advising the patient to reduce their BMI pre op.

It's not always as clear cut as you think.

I think people are unable to cook basic foods.Wanting the best and translating those sentiments to appropriate action takes some skill and diligence.

You have a point. A week or so back I was on my way home and dropped in at the Co-op on Lowedges or Batemoor whatever it's called to pick up something for dinner. It is a large store but the only fresh vegetables I could buy were red peppers.

I wonder why it is that you can buy any amount of pizza or pork pies, microwave meals and cheap lager but can't buy fresh veg?

I came up with 2 options.

1. The supermarket want to force an unhealthy diet of their customers.

2. The supermarket doesn't stock fresh veg because their isn't the demand.

---------- Post added 29-01-2013 at 11:06 ----------

If people were allowed to buy fresh - but "wonky" fruit- masses of it would not be wasted:

An estimated 20 to 40% of UK fruit and vegetables are rejected even before they reach the shops – mostly because they do not match the supermarkets’ excessively strict cosmetic standards.’

But that doesn't stop the grower selling it to folk who produce frozen or canned vegetables or folk who make vegetable soup.

I think its more lazy people would have less of a good diet cos it's easier to chuck summat int microwave from freezer, this could equate to poor people because the lazy tend to be workshy

Although I disprove this myself cos I'm a right lazy cow, but I do work and I do cook, and I'm not fat.

Anyone could be anything!

Archived