Childrens athletics training?

jocare

My daughter is 11 years old and very athletic. She would love to be more involved in athletics, particularly running. We have approached her school but after making all the right noises they have done nothing about it. I have heard of other schools actively encouraging talented youngsters, with children being involved in runing for their school and county. How can my daughters needs be met. Does anyone know of any clubs she could join. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

I regularly go for rugby league at Hillsborough Sports Arena and just outside the arena there is a portacabin which I believe is the home of Hallamshire Harriers. See lots of people setting off for runs from there. Seem to a wide range of ages, including children, and both genders.

Guest simon710

there is a session that takes place on Wednesday nights at Don Valley Stadium, 6.00pm. The head coach is Nash and his team of coaches cover a range of events.

Ig you need any more information on sessions taking place on any other nights or other venues please send me a PM.

The above session if definately the best one.

A word of warning.

My sister and I went to an athletics club when we were in our early teens.

She did the high jump and I threw the discus.

I had a slipped disk at 14yrs old and I am unable to lift anything more than a moderate weight ever since (for 35 years).

My sister has difficulty with her hips joints and has trouble getting around, this is nothing to do with her age.

I have two nephews who went to football training since they were in the junior school; both of them have had operations to solve problems with their legs but the operations didn't work.

Everyone I have worked with who played football at school or university has bad knees.

Another collegue, who did gymnastics, has a bad back; she is in her 20s.

When children work hard on physical training they can easily cause damage to growing bodies. Make sure you are not the driving force behind force behind physical training which can ruin their later life.

Archived