For all the none believers

If the first question is than manner in which you conduct scientific and philosophical debate, the let's hope you do something else for a living.

No need to get personal sweetheart. I am a scientist actually but I was using a bit of humour. It seems to have bypassed you.

My answer would be; "to the best of my knowledge, no. I have no reason to believe that ghosts exist."

Is there a science that isn't concerned with getting the truth?

Flipping Nora, what have I got myself into?!

I like your answer. But the word "believe" is interesting. It inserts a relativist tone to your response.

The historian E.H. Carr once wrote "before you study history, study the historian". I believe that the same applies for any theorist, and in Thomas Kuhn's masterwork I find support for that idea.

Scientists come to their work with preconceptions which may colour what they do. We all have biases and beliefs.

I've not seen anything remotely ghostlike ever myself, but I remain open-minded and excited about yet-to-be understood phenomena that may exist. This includes lifeforms in other solar systems, multiverses and a non-materialistic psychology. This last one may help explain the persistent folk and anecdotal tales of odd stuff such as that posted by the OP.

My lovely Dad passed away November 2011 ! But he adored Spitfires & my brother used to draw them all the time ! Well ! My brother had a painting in a frame hanging on his wall .When he came in the picture was on the heating radiator despite the heating not being on & just the picture was on the radiator and all the frame was in tact ! Mum had trouble putting the picture in the frame in the first place & Dad was there at the time they were trying to fit it in ! They were even thinking of cutting off the caption that came with it but Dad says No its too nice ! So when my brother told me about it I started laughing cos it is so like Dad. This has now happened 3 times & Mum has stopped putting it in a frame !

What are you actually saying here? The title addresses non-believers (of what?) and your OP seems to be about a picture that keeps falling out of it's frame. Have you left some details out?

I believe there is something else after we die, but I cant' say what, and weather that something else has the possibility of allowing you to be and interact with things as we currently know them, again, I believe that if the person is/was strong enough in life, then yes!!!

We also have to take into account, various other things, like our subconscious minds, reading into things as they are more enhanced, and focussed on what's been on your mind recently, making you more aware of that subject matter, and noticing things you would not normally have noticed (you would have seen, but not noticed)

A simple example of this, is....

... you buy a car (let's say, a blue, Ford Focus) as blues ok, you like blue, but you don't seem to notice many blue cars!

you're driving around in your nice new car, and over the course of the next two weeks, you notice LOADS of cars, that same blue as yours, and what makes it worse, is you notice loads of Ford Focus's, the same as yours!

there are aspects of randomness and luck involved here, but if you had got a red one instead, you wouldn't really notice the blue ones, but would notice more red ones...

I was being humourous too, so perhaps the bypass is all yours.

Handbags!

Sorry but the bypasses are mine :hihi::hihi:, seriously though if the OP or others get comfort from beliefs, why do people take such please in knocking them. There are a lot of things that happen, that cannot be explained or dispelled.

People do try to contact others from "the other side", by strange occurrences, and people like to believe that they do.

Sorry but the bypasses are mine :hihi::hihi:, seriously though if the OP or others get comfort from beliefs, why do people take such please in knocking them. There are a lot of things that happen, that cannot be explained or dispelled.

People do try to contact others from "the other side", by strange occurrences, and people like to believe that they do.

Same as Rootbooster.

I didn't think the OP mentioned what they believed in so its a bit hard to knock it.

Archived