Pelican crossings: New style: I think they're dangerous

The 'pelican' lights by Asda Chaucer. Yes I've heard all the chavsda jokes. I think they're dangerous. The theory being that you have to look at the display on the post you are crossing from to know when to 'go'. If there are a bunch of people waiting to cross, someone is inevitably in the way. So you can't see.

Ordinarily, you can look across the other side of the road, to see the green man.

Why not cross at the same time as the people that are stood in front of you or when there are no cars coming toward you.

That's completely logical of course...but a sheep mentality...There's no visual indicator...Just cos other people cross...I won't just blindly follow

That's completely logical of course...but a sheep mentality...There's no visual indicator...Just cos other people cross...I won't just blindly follow

Just step onto the crossing man, the cars will stop, cars should only proceed when the crossing is clear and if you are on it they should stop.

Alternatively wait for everyone to cross and then you will be at the front and be able to see the little red and green man. :D

So position yourself so that you can see the indicator?

....or wait until it is.

That's not always possible...plus it takes your eyeline from the traffic. If the 'green man' appeared at the opposite side then there's no problem...but when there's no visual (or audible) indication the it's a pain

That's not always possible...plus it takes your eyeline from the traffic. If the 'green man' appeared at the opposite side then there's no problem...but when there's no visual (or audible) indication the it's a pain

on the right hand pillar, as you are standing facing the road, on the newer crossings, the box has a small, ridged, rotating button-thing underneath.

It is a signal for the blind, and visually impaired:- when that is static, the signal for the pedestrian is on red, when it starts rotating, the signal for the pedestrian is on green.

I have to admit, I don't like the wait/ go signals on the actual box, I'm far more used to looking up-and-across, to the opposite pole for the "green man".

on the right hand pillar, as you are standing facing the road, on the newer crossings, the box has a small, ridged, rotating button-thing underneath.

It is a signal for the blind, and visually impaired:- when that is static, the signal for the pedestrian is on red, when it starts rotating, the signal for the pedestrian is on green.

I have to admit, I don't like the wait/ go signals on the actual box, I'm far more used to looking up-and-across, to the opposite pole for the "green man".

Exactly...and if someone is standing in your eyeline of the post on your side then you're stuffed and have to follow 'sheep' mentality!

Archived