Pelican crossings: New style: I think they're dangerous

I have a few times missed the green man because I am not looking in that direction, it would be better if there was also an audible signal to alert people.

Yeah someone mobile goes off and three pensioners are squashed.Not as good idea as it seems on paper.

Yeah someone mobile goes off and three pensioners are squashed.Not as good idea as it seems on paper.

Brilliant...hahha

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 18:06 ----------

They are called "PUFFIN" Crossings, by the way.

Wouldn't you be safer staying in bed? Peter?

Possibly, but I get bedsores!

Haha, not many peoples' mobiles sound like a pelican crossing bleeper though.

It must be annoying to live very close to a pelican crossing with an audible signal. I knew someone who lived right next to one of those crossings that says 'caution two way traffic, look both ways', it would drive me insane :rolleyes:

That's not always possible...plus it takes your eyeline from the traffic. If the 'green man' appeared at the opposite side then there's no problem...but when there's no visual (or audible) indication the it's a pain

the problem is when you look across and see the wrong indicator and go - hence the new style SAFER crossings

Haha, not many peoples' mobiles sound like a pelican crossing bleeper though.

It must be annoying to live very close to a pelican crossing with an audible signal. I knew someone who lived right next to one of those crossings that says 'caution two way traffic, look both ways', it would drive me insane :rolleyes:

I am unfamiliar with the full range of ringtones-mine sounds like a microwave "done "bell and everyone starts drooling like a Pavlovian dog.

I have a few times missed the green man because I am not looking in that direction, it would be better if there was also an audible signal to alert people.

on certain crossings,it's not safe to have an audible signal- for example crossings where there is a refuge in the centre of the road, with another crossing across the other half of the road, or if it is a "multiway" crossing, where there is a staggered change to the lights.

Someone visually impaired might hear the beeps, and start to walk, thinking it's their safe signal, but it might be from the other section, making for a very hazardous situation. (hence the rotating button on the "silent" crossings to show blind pedestrians when the signal is at green)

Why did the moderator cross the road? :huh:

Answer:

If you have any questions about moderation please visit the Help Desk!

(please highlight the line above)

Maybe in this instance he shouldn't, at least not until he has developed his spatial awareness.

on certain crossings,it's not safe to have an audible signal- for example crossings where there is a refuge in the centre of the road, with another crossing across the other half of the road, or if it is a "multiway" crossing, where there is a staggered change to the lights.

Someone visually impaired might hear the beeps, and start to walk, thinking it's their safe signal, but it might be from the other section, making for a very hazardous situation. (hence the rotating button on the "silent" crossings to show blind pedestrians when the signal is at green)

I never thought of that before, it does make sense :)

Archived