Pelican crossings: New style: I think they're dangerous

Also, in the "new style" (puffins), the infra-red sensors pointing at the crossing itself pick you up still on the crossing and, until you are safely across, the lights don't move red-amber and green.

But without a public information campaign 20 years ago when puffins were first introduced and with uninformed pedestrians and drivers as a result of that, they might not work out as safe as the were designed to be.

Also, in the "new style" (puffins), the infra-red sensors pointing at the crossing itself pick you up still on the crossing and, until you are safely across, the lights don't move red-amber and green.

But without a public information campaign 20 years ago when puffins were first introduced and with uninformed pedestrians and drivers as a result of that, they might not work out as safe as the were designed to be.

It's not just 'me'. I often see other people at the crossing desperately looking around trying to see some sort of visual indication (presumably looking for the green man on the opposite pole), but to no avail. I find myself looking up at the traffic lights and watch them, but even they aren't easy to see, you have to be at one side or the other of the allotted place to wait!

From the description this is a Puffin not a pelican and they've been about ages - has Sheffield only just started to get these? Far better than a pelican and they stop toerags pushing the button for a laugh to stop the cars - if they are not waiting in the box it'll not stop the traffic.

From the description this is a Puffin not a pelican and they've been about ages - has Sheffield only just started to get these? Far better than a pelican and they stop toerags pushing the button for a laugh to stop the cars - if they are not waiting in the box it'll not stop the traffic.

Well if that's how they're supposed to work then clearly they don't work! If the button is pressed, the lights stop the traffic. Maybe the particular set I'm referring to may have a 'problem'. But they certain'y don't work how you describe.

If you push the button and the timer appears then if you walk away the timer will go. If the lights change immediatly then that means someone has been waiting in the box past the end of the cycle before pushing the button usually.

No, I mean I've seen kids press it for a laugh and run off!

Then it's not a Puffin crossing or it's defective.

I couldn't say. I'm not sure what the difference is to a Pelican crossing, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly and advise! :)

Whatever it is, I still think it's dangerous. It's fine if you're the only person waiting to cross, but if there's a bunch of people, everyone is looking around for something visual ..... that elusive green man that isn't there! (before I get any smart quips not the 'Parsonian Aliens')

I couldn't say. I'm not sure what the difference is to a Pelican crossing, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly and advise! :)

Whatever it is, I still think it's dangerous. It's fine if you're the only person waiting to cross, but if there's a bunch of people, everyone is looking around for something visual ..... that elusive green man that isn't there! (before I get any smart quips not the 'Parsonian Aliens')

You can never find a boy scout when you need one... :mrgreen:

Archived