Expat giving father's council home as home address for post etc

I think it's down as 'home address' and I'm guessing this could get her in trouble with the bank but could he also get in trouble and his council home be at risk?

Can't see any reason why it would put the council tenancy at risk. Nothing wrong with having someone elses post addressed to him - and quite frankly nobodies business except him, his daughter and whoever is sending the letters.

He's really got nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 18:06 ----------

If he is claiming Single Person's Discount on his council tax this could be put at risk because they might argue that she lives there too with her mail going there.

No - she has to actually physically live there for it to affect benefit.

Can't see any reason why it would put the council tenancy at risk. Nothing wrong with having someone elses post addressed to him - and quite frankly nobodies business except him, his daughter and whoever is sending the letters.

This wasn't true in my mums case, she got in trouble anyway as they had all the proof they needed.

This wasn't true in my mums case, she got in trouble anyway as they had all the proof they needed.

For somebody to be living there they need to be physically there - not just having their post delivered. I'm sure it can easily be evidenced the daughter is living abroad - therefore nothing to worry about.

SPD is not a benefit, every one person household is entitled to 25% discount on their council tax bill, regardless of income. I don't get qualify for any benefits but I get SPD.

SPD is not a benefit, every one person household is entitled to 25% discount on their council tax bill, regardless of income. I don't get qualify for any benefits but I get SPD.

Call it what you like - if the daughter is living abroad and the father is living alone in his council property then it won't be affected by some of her post being delivered there.

Call it what you like - if the daughter is living abroad and the father is living alone in his council property then it won't be affected by some of her post being delivered there.

You are wrong, he will have to prove she does not live with him. They can cancel the SPD back 7 years and bill him for it. He will be expected to prove it is a care of address and prove that she is a permanent resident of another country. If not and she is simply on a travelling visa and she has no other uk address then they will view her as having security of tenure at his address.

That said it will depend who he speaks to some people may turn a blind eye to the situation but should someone do it by the book then he may get a hefty bill.

You are wrong, he will have to prove she does not live with him. They can cancel the SPD back 7 years and bill him for it. He will be expected to prove it is a care of address and prove that she is a permanent resident of another country. If not and she is simply on a travelling visa and she has no other uk address then they will view her as having security of tenure at his address.

That said it will depend who he speaks to some people may turn a blind eye to the situation but should someone do it by the book then he may get a hefty bill.

How on earth will the council know he is receiving letters addressed to his daughter?

How on earth will the council know he is receiving letters addressed to his daughter?

You only have to do a credit search and it will say she lives there.

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 21:36 ----------

Spot on 100%

Archived