Panorama BBC News Channel Sun 27 Jan 8.30-9 pm

There are thousands of British doing work in the states incognito,whom we applaud.If old Happ Hazard was so concerned about rough sleepers,she could open his doors and take in a lodger,assuming Father Hazard approved.
Many of them were working in the silicon valley in California when I went there years ago. Most of them had come over as programmers for the big number of cyber firms springing up all around Cupertino, and had never left when the jobs disappeared. They worked as roofers, gardeners, dishwashers, waiters, anything to stay solvent. They were good at it, and well liked. So mostly the powers that be turned a blind eye to it. But it was a chancy life at best. When I met them they asked me if I was like them, and when I said I was a citizen they wanted to know how I did it. So I told them of how I emigrated to Canada, worked there for some years then got recruited by an American company, who fought for me to get a green card.

Archived