Duck survives after crossbow attack

" Those found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal could face a maximum six-month prison sentence and/or a £20,000 fine."

The article mentions the consequences of animal cruelty but nothing about the fact that the guy was out in public shooting a crossbow !

Which isn't actually illegal, especially if done safely (which this obviously isn't). I used to go and do some archery on the local common probably every month or so without issues until some of the locals decided to kick off and whine.

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 10:37 ----------

Why is it I feel sorry for the duck but laughed at the picture of the seagull?.

Because seagulls are just airborne rats?

Why is it I feel sorry for the duck but laughed at the picture of the seagull?

People firing weapons in public is always a concern tho, hopefully the armed unit are investigating it.

Maybe it is because seagulls are nasty vicious creatures whereas ducks are lovely, especially crispy duck cooked the Chinese way.:love:

Which isn't actually illegal, especially if done safely (which this obviously isn't). I used to go and do some archery on the local common probably every month or so without issues until some of the locals decided to kick off and whine.

Yes I'm a recurve archer and until I became a dad I used to practice legally on the tennis courts near me.

What I meant to say is that he was hunting with it in public

Yes I'm a recurve archer and until I became a dad I used to practice legally on the tennis courts near me.

What I meant to say is that he was hunting with it in public

I'm wondering what the legal position is if he shot it on private land if it was bothering fish in his pond or whatnot. Having only hunted straw bales I'm unsure on how legit this would be...

" Those found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal could face a maximum six-month prison sentence and/or a £20,000 fine."

The article mentions the consequences of animal cruelty but nothing about the fact that the guy was out in public shooting a crossbow !

The duck could have been shot on private land and then flew to the public park. I say could as its very unlikely as I suspect this is some kid with his new Christmas present shooting anything that moves.

I'm wondering what the legal position is if he shot it on private land if it was bothering fish in his pond or whatnot. Having only hunted straw bales I'm unsure on how legit this would be...

As far as I'm aware hunting with bows or crossbows is forbidden, I think the same goes for catapults (but not sure).

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 11:05 ----------

The duck could have been shot on private land and then flew to the public park. I say could as its very unlikely as I suspect this is some kid with his new Christmas present shooting anything that moves.

Has hunting with crossbows been made legal then?

I would imagine that had they been caught they'd be looking at possession in public and discharging in public offences on top of the animal cruelty offence.

Has hunting with crossbows been made legal then?

It would need to have been made illegal first for it to ever be then make legal and I don't believe it has ever been illegal to hunt with bow or crossbow, otherwise why would they be sold in the UK.

Archived