Duck survives after crossbow attack

It would need to have been made illegal first for it to ever be then make legal and I don't believe it has ever been illegal to hunt with bow or crossbow, otherwise why would they be sold in the UK.

It was made illegal in 1981 to hunt with bows, snares and (I think) nets and lamps were banned at the same time.

Crossbows are legal for target shooting hence they are allowed to be sold.

I would imagine that had they been caught they'd be looking at possession in public and discharging in public offences on top of the animal cruelty offence.

As far as I'm aware there is no problem with posessing a bow in public, I don't think there is even any law against firing (loosing) it in public, as long as it's done so safely and responsibly. I don't doubt for a second though that the police would pay you a visit if anybody complained. I think the same applies to crossbows.

As far as I'm aware hunting with bows or crossbows is forbidden, I think the same goes for catapults (but not sure).

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 11:05 ----------

Has hunting with crossbows been made legal then?

Probably was in the 1297 Charter of the Forest. Apparantly as others have said it was outlawed in the early 1980's.

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 15:50 ----------

I would imagine that had they been caught they'd be looking at possession in public and discharging in public offences on top of the animal cruelty offence.

Possession of what - a bow? It's perfectly legal to possess them in public and to loose them at targets. Indeed there are ancient laws that *require* you to possess a bow and shafts and to practice on Sundays...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10300924

It was made illegal in 1981 to hunt with bows, snares and (I think) nets and lamps were banned at the same time.

Crossbows are legal for target shooting hence they are allowed to be sold.

OOOh, you learn something new every day :) Thanks for the correction.

As far as I'm aware there is no problem with posessing a bow in public, I don't think there is even any law against firing (loosing) it in public, as long as it's done so safely and responsibly. I don't doubt for a second though that the police would pay you a visit if anybody complained. I think the same applies to crossbows.

A crossbow and bolt are classed as offensive weapons so if you have them in public then you need a good reason as to why you have them. As soon as they are uncased and loaded and cocked in public then legally you are in the same boat as waving a sword around.

"Because I want to do archery practice and I have a small garden" is a perfectly good reason.

Not in public it's not. Even if you have no ill intent, and assuming you have chose a suitable target with enough stopping power to prevent the bolt posing a danger to anyone beyond the target and you are skilled enough to ensure you hit the backstop 100% of the time you are endangering anyone between you and the target. As you're in public you have no right to start cordoning off a makeshift range and preventing the general public going about their lawful business.

Not in public it's not. Even if you have no ill intent, and assuming you have chose a suitable target with enough stopping power to prevent the bolt posing a danger to anyone beyond the target and you are skilled enough to ensure you hit the backstop 100% of the time you are endangering anyone between you and the target. As you're in public you have no right to start cordoning off a makeshift range and preventing the general public going about their lawful business.

It might not be a good enough reason for you but it is as far as the law is concerned. On common land it's perfectly acceptable to cordon off a range, set up targets and provide a backstop. That's what common land is for.

It might not be a good enough reason for you but it is as far as the law is concerned. On common land it's perfectly acceptable to cordon off a range, set up targets and provide a backstop. That's what common land is for.

Common land is a rather specific example of "in public", but common land only grants rights to those commoners associated with it, and even in that case one of those rights is not "the right to set up crossbow ranges".

Archived