Duck survives after crossbow attack

A crossbow and bolt are classed as offensive weapons.

No, a crossbow and bolt CAN be classified as an offensive weapon, depending on the intent.

As soon as they are uncased and loaded and cocked in public then legally you are in the same boat as waving a sword around.

What leads you to believe this?

Not in public it's not. Even if you have no ill intent, and assuming you have chose a suitable target with enough stopping power to prevent the bolt posing a danger to anyone beyond the target and you are skilled enough to ensure you hit the backstop 100% of the time you are endangering anyone between you and the target. As you're in public you have no right to start cordoning off a makeshift range and preventing the general public going about their lawful business.

You seem to be presuming that all public places are wide open and unenclosed, and that an archer would prevent the general public going about their business.

Do you know of any law which would prevent someone shooting a bow responsibly and safely in public?

Common land is a rather specific example of "in public", but common land only grants rights to those commoners associated with it, and even in that case one of those rights is not "the right to set up crossbow ranges".

Countryside and rights of way act explicitly grants people the right to "recreation". The courts have held that archery is not "shooting" (shooting is prohibited) as it doesn't involve a propellant gas, and it is a recreation.

It is therefore allowed on any land designated by the Act provided that it's safe (ie there are marshals and flags and a net) and it's not a game or competition (and improving your own skill or teaching it for free is not a game or competition).

Countryside and rights of way act explicitly grants people the right to "recreation". The courts have held that archery is not "shooting" (shooting is prohibited) as it doesn't involve a propellant gas, and it is a recreation.

It is therefore allowed on any land designated by the Act provided that it's safe (ie there are marshals and flags and a net) and it's not a game or competition (and improving your own skill or teaching it for free is not a game or competition).

If you have marshalls and flags and nets with you then it's slightly different from the situation we are talking about. I'm not sure what case law you refer to but the act you referenced certainly does not apply to those in possession of hunting equipment, which a crossbow would most certainly be.

Basically if anyone wants to wander about in public with a loaded crossbow then they would do so against my advice and if they encounter the police they will likely end up arrested and the crossbow and ammunition confiscated. Telling people they can on "common land" or that the countryside and rights of way act allows them to is just irresponsible.

I'm certain it does. I'll take your advice under advisement, mainly because it's clearly wrong.

Telling the public that sound and correct advise is "just irresponsible" is in fact the height of irresponsibility. Tell me what law says that I cannot practice archery on common, or indeed access land in England then? Until then, kindly stop talking cobblers.

I'm certain it does. I'll take your advice under advisement, mainly because it's clearly wrong.

Telling the public that sound and correct advise is "just irresponsible" is in fact the height of irresponsibility. Tell me what law says that I cannot practice archery on common, or indeed access land in England then? Until then, kindly stop talking cobblers.

You're discharging a lethal ranged weapon. In public. There are numerous laws against that.

Lets make this simple, would you be happy to meet up on common or access land and you start "practicing" archery with your crossbow and I'll call the police and complain and then see what happens? If not, stop giving people advice that's going to get them nicked.

You're discharging a lethal ranged weapon. In public. There are numerous laws against that.

Lets make this simple, would you be happy to meet up on common or access land and you start "practicing" archery with your crossbow and I'll call the police and complain and then see what happens? If not, stop giving people advice that's going to get them nicked.

Would you care to tell me what these laws are then?

I'm happy to meet yes - you can ask the Scouts what happened last time someone complained. In short a copper arrived looking annoyed, looked at us, looked at the complainant, gave the complainant a bollocking for being a prat and then had a go himself.

Stop talking about stuff you clearly have no chuffing idea about. It'll only make you look foolish when you get found out.

Would you care to tell me what these laws are then?

I'm happy to meet yes - you can ask the Scouts what happened last time someone complained. In short a copper arrived looking annoyed, looked at us, looked at the complainant, gave the complainant a bollocking for being a prat and then had a go himself.

Stop talking about stuff you clearly have no chuffing idea about. It'll only make you look foolish when you get found out.

So you're talking about a group of Scouts, on an organised not for profit safely supervised expedition practicing archery (I'm guessing longbow not crossbow). Not some guy on his own wandering around with a loaded crossbow. On which basis you've told everyone they have the right to use crossbows in public. I do hope you give the young gentlemen better advice than this as chief woggle or whatever the scout leaders are called.

So you're talking about a group of Scouts, on an organised not for profit safely supervised expedition practicing archery (I'm guessing longbow not crossbow). Not some guy on his own wandering around with a loaded crossbow. On which basis you've told everyone they have the right to use crossbows in public. I do hope you give the young gentlemen better advice than this as chief woggle or whatever the scout leaders are called.

Sorry, I'm sure you had a point there somewhere but if disappeared amonst the abuse.....

You are making a strawman. I've never said I would "wander about" with a crossbow that is cocked (you don't "load" a crossbow, you draw and **** it). That's something you've made up to argue a point that never existed. I have said that there is no law that says I cannot have a bow in public. That doesnt mean it's tensioned an ready to go as you well know.

Tell me what law says I cannot practice archery - with either a longbow, recurve, crossbow or whatever on access or common land.

Well?

Thought you wouldnt be able to.

Just seen amazing photos of a duck seen at South Yorkshire park yesterday after being shot with crossbow bolt...

http://www.sheffieldnewsandsport.com/2013/01/27/duck-shot-in-neck-with-a-crossbow/

poor duck, cruel b*****d who shot it, does anyone know if it has been caught and had the bolt removed, i hope so and hope the duck recovers quickly and the idiot who shot it gets locked up :rant:

Archived