Do you spoil your children?

Well I'm not going to say names but I know a few parents that get their children what they want when they want it. I also have seen a lot a parents spending so much on their children this Christmas that they cant even pay their house bills.

Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy?

When I was growing up it was never about how many presents I got.

I think that children are more grateful and respectful when they are not spoilt.

It's natural to want to give your children a special present if it's reasonably priced and it's suitable and they've asked for it. Parents don't want to disappoint their children, and some, especially in this economic shambles we are in, thanks to our governments and banks, might find themselves having difficulty in both paying the bills and doing this. It's a terrible shame.

However, some parents spend so much on their kids that the kids never get to really appreciate the real value of things.

I was completely spoilt when I was a child - always got what I wanted. I also had the utmost respect for my parents. I dont have a child but plan on spoiling them rotten when I do :-)

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I understand where your coming from. But I think parents have to be careful with how they spoil their children. I see children crying when they are told they can not have something in a shop and then the parent gives in and they get it. I do not believe you get respect of your children without boundaries

I was completely spoilt when I was a child - always got what I wanted. I also had the utmost respect for my parents. I dont have a child but plan on spoiling them rotten when I do :-)

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

This seems unlikely but you are an exception as indulging childrens' whims can erode respect,and undermine their capacity to show resilience when meeting adversity.

I don't think kids should get luxuries for nothing. Just as adults have to give to receive (e.g. work for money), so must kids (chores/tasks for things they want).

That way, if the child ends up with a lot of stuff, you know they've "earned" it. Plus, it instils in them the ethic of giving to receive as opposed to growing up with an entitlement mentality.

i spoiled my first son like mad and boy didnt i pay for it when i had my second son! he never appreciated the things i bought because he was getting things all the time! and with a second child to take care of i had to share equally, its been hard trying to ''change'' how he is because of how we made him by spoiling him, but what we do now is the expensive things they want are for xmas and the little things they want are for birthdays, my son likes to help around the house with things like tiding up ''trying to help me hoover'' lol so i give him money for when he helps, this way like someone has said its teaching your kids you cant sit around and get everything for nothing! plus my son is proud of himself when hes helped me and he's earned his ''own'' money lol i dont agree in spoiling children, they will never truly respect something because they get it all the time, my children appreciate things more now than when i was spoiling them. people may not agree and feel free to say why i might see it differently xx

i spoiled my first son like mad and boy didnt i pay for it when i had my second son! he never appreciated the things i bought because he was getting things all the time! and with a second child to take care of i had to share equally, its been hard trying to ''change'' how he is because of how we made him by spoiling him, but what we do now is the expensive things they want are for xmas and the little things they want are for birthdays, my son likes to help around the house with things like tiding up ''trying to help me hoover'' lol so i give him money for when he helps, this way like someone has said its teaching your kids you cant sit around and get everything for nothing! plus my son is proud of himself when hes helped me and he's earned his ''own'' money lol i dont agree in spoiling children, they will never truly respect something because they get it all the time, my children appreciate things more now than when i was spoiling them. people may not agree and feel free to say why i might see it differently xx

Siblings have to share stuff even if they have the same thing they want each others :hihi: . I agree with children earning their money/gifts.

I understand where your coming from. But I think parents have to be careful with how they spoil their children. I see children crying because it they want something in a shop and then they get it. I do not believe you get respect of your children without boundaries

My daughter would be taken home at that point and then go without completely, it's not always about succumbing to a childs whim it's a parent being too selfish to actual commit to parenting.

It isn't bad spoiling a child it's bad having no consequences for poor behaviour,all carrot no stick.

My daughter would be taken home at that point and then go without completely, it's not always about succumbing to a childs whim it's a parent being too selfish to actual commit to parenting.

It isn't bad spoiling a child it's bad having no consequences for poor behaviour,all carrot no stick.

I sometimes think parents spoil their children with toys so they feel they can then just leave them to play on their own whilst they sit watching Jeremy Kyle. :gag:

I hate to see spoilt children that never get attention of their parents like one 2 one attention. It makes me sick... Why do people have kids to sit them in front of the telly all day and totally ignore them!!

Archived