Car insurance up despite yet another year of NCB ? This is why..

Insurance is ridiculous now! Im a young driver & I can't get a quote anything less than £5000.00 on a 1 litre Corsa :(

I had the same problem, but I have only been driving for a year. cheapest insurance I found was for a landrover at £1800 and for my renewal was £900 so I got myself a landie. good fun to drive and fun off roading :)

Maybe we have got it wrong? I thought that some 1ltr Corsas were rather quick.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-1700001/Five-cars-cheap-insure.html

That link is from 2010, and terrible. Much of their information goes back to when I started driving back in 1990. The cars they mentioned:

- Seat Marbella

- Fiat 126

- Fiat Seicento

- Citroën 2CV6

are hardly popular these days. They also claim that the Peugeot 206 is a group 2 car, its actually group 7-11.

My brother is one of a few new drivers who found a group 4-8 Pug 306 cheaper to insure than a 1L Corsa.

Like has been said previously, its all down to risk. If Corsas are more likely to be involved in accidents, they'll ramp up the premiums - even though its down to the driver and not the car.

Edited by alchresearch

• 10 months later...

Best thing I read in the paper today, or, in fact, all week. In The Times it reported that since the law has been changed to tighten up on ambulance chasing "Whiplash" law firms the number operating has reduced from 3,300 in 2011 to 2,000. In fact 600 have cloased in the past year. It`s too late for my friend, but great news for the rest of us, apart from scumbag fraudsters wanting a payout of course, but who gives a toss about them ? I certainly don`t.

My car insurance went up £73 this year, no accidents or claims either...so I went onto the comparison websites - bad move!

Admiral offered me a similar policy for around the amount I was paying the previous year, great I thought. I filled in the form as you do and needed to confirm a couple of details so called them up and got through to a call centre in Eastern Canada, they went through all the details with me etc and I took out the policy. When the documentation was sent to me it had my employment details wrong apparently I'm a civil servant, but no never have been and never will be. So I contacted their customer services in INDIA, to change my employment details to what I submitted them as was going to cost me ...wait for it....£70 seventy quid for their mistake, it then took me a further 3 hours to cancel the said policy as they stated I had to pay an excess (admin fee) for cancelling the policy that I took out an hour before. Fortunately for me I know my rights and contacted my credit card company. Admiral are STILL contacting me in regards to the outstanding monies apparently owed

I had a similar experience last year with Hastings Direct but at least their customer service centre was in the UK

From now on I'll be giving the comparison websites a miss

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 20:36 ----------

That link is from 2010, and terrible. Much of their information goes back to when I started driving back in 1990. The cars they mentioned:

- Seat Marbella

- Fiat 126

- Fiat Seicento

- Citroën 2CV6

are hardly popular these days. They also claim that the Peugeot 206 is a group 2 car, its actually group 7-11.

My brother is one of a few new drivers who found a group 4-8 Pug 306 cheaper to insure than a 1L Corsa.

Like has been said previously, its all down to risk. If Corsas are more likely to be involved in accidents, they'll ramp up the premiums - even though its down to the driver and not the car.

I drive a small Vauxhall and I'm group 12E for heavens sake, its quite an old car and was recently valued at £800 yet I could technically buy a Qashqai crossover with the same engine with more power and newer for £26 a year more?!?!!?!?

Maybe an internal audit needs to occur with these firms, plus if your car is written off through no fault of your own you don't get 100% of the value, you have to pay an extra premium for that a[pparently

My car insurance went up £73 this year, no accidents or claims either...so I went onto the comparison websites - bad move!

Admiral offered me a similar policy for around the amount I was paying the previous year, great I thought. I filled in the form as you do and needed to confirm a couple of details so called them up and got through to a call centre in Eastern Canada, they went through all the details with me etc and I took out the policy. When the documentation was sent to me it had my employment details wrong apparently I'm a civil servant, but no never have been and never will be. So I contacted their customer services in INDIA, to change my employment details to what I submitted them as was going to cost me ...wait for it....£70 seventy quid for their mistake, it then took me a further 3 hours to cancel the said policy as they stated I had to pay an excess (admin fee) for cancelling the policy that I took out an hour before. Fortunately for me I know my rights and contacted my credit card company. Admiral are STILL contacting me in regards to the outstanding monies apparently owed

I had a similar experience last year with Hastings Direct but at least their customer service centre was in the UK

From now on I'll be giving the comparison websites a miss

That's not the fault of comparison websites but rather Admiral. I use them every year and save money.

I drive a small Vauxhall and I'm group 12E for heavens sake, its quite an old car and was recently valued at £800 yet I could technically buy a Qashqai crossover with the same engine with more power and newer for £26 a year more?!?!!?!?

Maybe an internal audit needs to occur with these firms, plus if your car is written off through no fault of your own you don't get 100% of the value, you have to pay an extra premium for that apparently

You get 100% of the value of your car at the time of the write off, not the amount you paid for it. If you want that then get some gap insurance.

jb

• 1 year later...

I thought the Government were clamping down on whiplash fraudsters ? Unfortunately this is a quote from The Times (21 Mar 16) :

"Last year a record number of whiplash claims were made in Britain, and AXA said that £90 of every motor insurance policy went towards the cost of paying those claims"

Bad news for everyone, except the whiplash fraudsters, obviously......

I thought the Government were clamping down on whiplash fraudsters ? Unfortunately this is a quote from The Times (21 Mar 16) :

"Last year a record number of whiplash claims were made in Britain, and AXA said that £90 of every motor insurance policy went towards the cost of paying those claims"

Bad news for everyone, except the whiplash fraudsters, obviously......

I think I might have a stiff neck coming on :suspect:

I got a multicar quote with Admiral out of interest. Ended up paying £30 MOREfor 2 cars than for mine alone with a better level of cover and a lower excess. V happy with that. Might be worth looking at if there is more than 1 car in the household and you've had a high quote on one of the cars.

Edited by sgtkate
added the word more!