Car insurance up despite yet another year of NCB ? This is why..

I used to drive some fairly old cars and if they required work then I'd be off to the breakers yard or round to my local garage. However the last time I was in a yard the vehicles in it looked to be in better condition than my old run-arounds, So could part of the problem be that it is easier now to declare a car as a right off and so get a nice new shiny one courtesy of the insurance

Talking of car insurance, all those new drivers who think insurance is cheaper on a cheap, old, run around car, wrong!

Just been getting a few quotes for potential car types for my hubby (new driver).

A 2003 reg Peugeot 307 7 seater, at £1,295 purchase price is £3000 on insurance.

A 2009 Peugeot 308, £3,800 purchase price is £2000 on insurance

Compare the market gave me an industry estimated value on the same 308 at £5,195 - so I used that value for a quote and it went down to £1,400 for insurance!

So, rather than buying the cheapest car you can and spending much, much more on insurance for it, get a more expensive car and save on insurance!

All the quotes were for 7 seater cars, with 1.6 HDi engines, btw.

I got a quote for next years car insurance today. Rather naively I`d phoned up expecting my premium to go down because I`d got yet another year of No Claims Bonus.

How wrong I was, my premium went up by £75 !

WHY ! ! !

I`ll tell you why, scrounging fraudulent whiplash claimants working with "no win no fee" (and no conscience) lawyers, that`s why.

Between me and a friend of mine we`ve had three phony whiplash cases made against us in the last 20 years. All bumps were at less than 5mph ! This one was a side to side scratch (crash, or even bump, is altogether too strong a word for it) ! Look at the picture on the link, if that bleedin` scrounger got whiplash from that accident her neck must be so weak then should wear a neckbrace, and I mean all the time, including in bed.

But how many of us if we hear a friend or relative or work colleague is trying it on with a whiplash claim actually point out what they`re doing is wrong ?

Until more people tell these fraudulent scumbags they`re out of order it`ll just keep happening, and we`ll all keep paying out with higher insurance premiums.

try GO COMPARE . £500 down to £200, cant go wrong, change it every year

Talking of car insurance, all those new drivers who think insurance is cheaper on a cheap, old, run around car, wrong!

Just been getting a few quotes for potential car types for my hubby (new driver).

A 2003 reg Peugeot 307 7 seater, at £1,295 purchase price is £3000 on insurance.

Compare the market gave me an industry estimated value on the same 308 at £5,195 - so I used that value for a quote and it went down to £1,400 for insurance!

So, rather than buying the cheapest car you can and spending much, much more on insurance for it, get a more expensive car and save on insurance!

I would argue that the newer car would have more spares available therefore in the eyes of the insurer would be cheaper and easier to source spares for repairs.

Depends if your talking about genuine parts or pattern parts.

Pattern parts take a while to come through, as the manufacturer(s) has to design/copy the part and put it into production, then supply and demand will sort out the price.

Pattern parts are usually much cheaper than genuine, but the range isn't there for brand new stuff. 5+ years old there's more parts than you can shake a stick at usually.

Beat up old bangers are more likely to be thrashed around and bashed into other cars than a nice shiny new pride and joy...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

Beat up old bangers are more likely to be thrashed around and bashed into other cars than a nice shiny new pride and joy...

I know. But those people who post on here having just bought their first car, a P reg Punto or N reg Fiesta etc expecting cheap insurance and having it come up at 4 grand obviously don't!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android