BBC4 1960's footage of Sheffield

Minimo

Did anyone else see the programme on BBC4 tonight, 8.30?

There was a great segment on Sheffield Rag, including the boat race on the Don.

If you are interested try and get to see it, it was a real gem, unfortunately I don't think it said what year it was (I may have missed it)

I missed the program name, but it's just finished

Rank set about filming British life in the 1960's, and some of the footage shown tonight was of Sheffield rag week procession through the city centre and a raft race on the Don. I was surprised at how much airtime this bit got too

It was all shot in colour and high definition for cinema viewing rather than tv, so the pictures are surprisingly high quality, and a great record of the fashions and colours of the day

Did anybody else see it?

(it wad also interesting to see the conformation of the Bulldogs in their clip - with much better formed muzzles than we're used to seeing today)

We watched it again (it was shown quite recently) since our TV seems to be permanently stuck on BBC 4. It was very interesting to be reminded of times when I was a kid. From the opening introduction I think it said it was filmed in 1959.

........ From the opening introduction I think it said it was filmed in 1959.

That was so, but the Helston scenes were filmed in 1961 and the Manchester Rag procession was 1963.

I couldn't date the Sheffield sequences, nor could I clarify the location of sequences just prior to those from Sheffield (with the girl slaves and dark blue trolley buses)! Could be Hull or Birmingham.

That was so, but the Helston scenes were filmed in 1961 and the Manchester Rag procession was 1963.

I couldn't date the Sheffield sequences, nor could I work out the location of sequences just prior to those from Sheffield (with the girl slaves and dark blue trolley buses)!

Yes, you're right.

Incidentally, for those that missed it the Sheffield part is at 8 mins here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qbz9f/Britain_on_Film_This_Sceptred_Isle/

• 3 months later...

Archived