Jsa sanction for 4 weeks

a friend of mine has recently had his jsa stopped for 4 weeks for a missed appointment sanction.he did not receive any letters stating this was being done he just rang up to ask why his jsa had not been paid&they told him about the sanction.he was told that it could happen but not that it would happen.is this right that they can just do it without informing the person?how on earth do they expect anybody to be able to lose 4 weeks benefit & carry on ?

He should appeal on a GL24 form or just ask for a review by phone asap but he will need a good reason as to why he missed his appointment and why he didn't inform them that he wouldn't make it. Illness, job interview, lack of notification, etc would be good reasons.

I remember about 3 years ago during my brief spell of unemployment. I had to deal with a right witch at the job centre in Sheffield. She was a horrible person, if you disagreed with her opinion about what jobs are "suitable" for you she would threaten to have your JSA stopped. One week she did have it stopped. I applied for 10 jobs that week but because there was one she deemed equally suitable which I had missed.... she got my payment stopped for 2 weeks. I really wish I appealed. The woman is just poison.

They tried to stop it once for a missed appointment too. What had happened is my appointment was late afternoon, in the morning I went up to Manchester to do a bit of shopping for my disabled grandma, on the way back there had been an accident and the M1 suddenly came to a standstill. I called the job centre and told them where I was, they said to come in the next day. When I did they tried stopping my payment for 2 weeks despite it being the first time I had missed an appointment. This time I did appeal and luckily who ever made the decision had the ability to understand logic and reasoning, which is obviously not a requirement for your bog standard job centre employee.

a friend of mine has recently had his jsa stopped for 4 weeks for a missed appointment sanction.he did not receive any letters stating this was being done he just rang up to ask why his jsa had not been paid&they told him about the sanction.he was told that it could happen but not that it would happen.is this right that they can just do it without informing the person?how on earth do they expect anybody to be able to lose 4 weeks benefit & carry on ?

So why didn't he tell them he couldn't attend?

If he had a valid excuse he should have told them.

He probably knows what the rules are so I've little sympathy.

They will use any excuse they can to throw people off JSA for as long as they can. Then they can say the figures are going down at the same time as making the poorest pay for the lifestyles and 'mistakes' of the super rich.

No they do not. You are required to sign on every two weeks as part of your agreement with the Job Centre. It is clearly stated in the terms of your JSA that if you do not, you will lose some of your payments.

Some people will use any excuse to bash the system, even when its obvious they know little if anything about it :roll:

Archived