Why do children have to do homework?

Even more amazing how many people appear to think that a teacher's work ends as soon as the kids go home. They too have a family to care and attend to before and after their working day.

A school is there to educate children not be a daily 12 hour child minding service for the parents.

Even more amazing how many people appear to think that a teacher's work ends as soon as the kids go home.

A school is there to educate children not be a daily 12 hour child minding service for the parents.

Just think how much more the teachers could teach and the kids could learn with an extra couple of hours at school, the kids would also get used to working for longer and would adjust to a working life easier after leaving school.

And when would you like teachers to get on with their research and lesson planning, work marking and reviewing, reporting and compliance, staff meetings, administration, training sessions etc..

That of course is on top of dealing with the already existing after school clubs, sports, special events, induction and parents evenings.

How many working hours a day do you expect them to do????

And when would you like teachers to get on with their research and lesson planning, work marking and reviewing, reporting and compliance, staff meetings, administration, training sessions etc..

That of course is on top of dealing with the already existing after school clubs, sports, special events, induction and parents evenings.

Research and lesson planning,

Does the information they are going to teach change each year or do they teach the same information to different kids each year, if they don’t have the time at school, I’m sure they can find the time during the kids holidays.

Work marking and reviewing,

Whilst the kids are doing the work which has been set by the teacher.

Compliance, staff meetings, administration, training sessions etc..

When they have no lessons to teach or during their long holidays.

About 40 a week with 5 weeks holidays.

Older children on the continent have had 7-8 hour school days for years. Plus some also attend Saturday lessons.

When do their teachers do the things you talked about above?

When do their teachers do the things you talked about above?
During any 'free' time in their schedule at school, evenings, weekends, holidays.

That is my experience both:

(i) as a continental kid (from age 6 to 17, 08:00-17:00 Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri, plus Sat 08:00-12:00 until age 12, then also Wedn 08:00-1200 until age 17 (yup, 6 'day' week)); and

(ii) being brother in law for the last 10 years to a secondary teacher in the same country.

And I've glossed over the (thankfully-) short period of full-time 'internment' with Jesuits at age 11, which was 12-hour days (08:00-20:00), pretty much in bootcamp conditions.

Never did me any harm, quite the contrary.

Whilst my daughter is not anywhere near this regimen, being schooled in the UK as she is (although she started a year early -relative to UK kids- at the French school in Ireland), I reckon she does about an extra school day (6 hours or so) a week in extra tuition/homework.

Age 8, fluent reader (devourer, actually...around 2 'proper' books a week), at least a year in advance for everything except Maths (on par with year/stage level...but working on that), with written/spoken French on top. And working hard to sustain/improve on that (without falling into Far-Eastern excesses, however).

Basic life lesson: if you want to do well in life, first you have to give yourself the tools and means to earn it (knowledge, skills, aptitude, self-discipline). Homework is a cornerstone for that, at a young age.

Absolutely not. Education is very important. Particuarly at an early age.

Those "six hours" are hardly hard graft. Within that time there will be three break periods and no doubt for the younger years a session of playtime/storytime/art and craft as a final lesson of the day.

Older children on the continent have had 7-8 hour school days for years. Plus some also attend Saturday lessons.

I see no harm in a little bit of homework at any age. It keeps their mind focused on their school work during the school week and should provide a good link between the child's school experience and the parents.

.....for those who can be bothered to get involved that is.

Helping them with homework, making sure they do said homework, reading to your children, getting invovled with your children's projects for school is all part of raising kids. Its one of the many things being a parent is all about. If people cant be "bothered" they should have thought twice before having them.

I think you'll find that stories, arts and crafts are actually a full on part of the childs education.

My wife and I (but both retired) have to oversee that our grandkids get their homework done after we pick them up from school and baby sit them until their parents collect them after work. They're both doing very well at school but sometimes they dont want to do the homework and a certain amount of friction is involved. I can understand that they're tired after hours at school but if we werent there their parents would find it hard to make sure it was done in the few hours between coming home from work and bed time.

Homework is part of the grading process for end of term reports in this part of the world and it becomes increasingly important as they move onto to middle and high school.

Some major colleges and all universites require a good Grade Point Average of at least 3.5 or more from high school as a requirement for entry and GPAs are partially based on satisfactory completion of homework assignments

That's how it works here anyway

Archived