Why do children have to do homework?

Research and lesson planning,

Does the information they are going to teach change each year or do they teach the same information to different kids each year, if they don’t have the time at school, I’m sure they can find the time during the kids holidays.

Work marking and reviewing,

Whilst the kids are doing the work which has been set by the teacher.

Compliance, staff meetings, administration, training sessions etc..

When they have no lessons to teach or during their long holidays.

How many working hours a day do you expect them to do????

About 40 a week with 5 weeks holidays.

When do their teachers do the things you talked about above?

Considering most teachers are paid for just 39 weeks a year - albeit spread over 12 months. Answer me, would you work through your holidays for nothing. NO? Oh why should they then. You will find that they DO undertake this work when they "have no lessons". That's why the kids go home at 3-4. Even you must realise there is still plenty of work to do without kids present.

Have you any idea of what planning goes into a lesson. Same subject(s) it might be. It still has to be planned, adjusted, documented and reported on. The guidelines/special needs/methods and subject may need to adjusted for every single lesson.

I deal with hundreds of unfair dismissal claims every day. All the same. Doesn't mean I still dont need to read,research, review/plan and prepare each and every single one properly.

How do you think things happen?

Also, do you seriously think that a teacher would sit there getting on with lesson planning/marking/preparation and other admin whilst at the same time being in "teaching time" and supervising a class full of kids? Hmmm. Cant see that going down well with the PTA - Teacher sits there doing paperwork whilst kids trying to learn. Teacher ignores disruptive child becuase they were too busy filling in their audit reports....... I can see the Daily Fail headlines now.

I think you will find most teachers work well above 40 hours a week with a hell of a lot less paid holiday.

As for what happens on the Continent. You very right to ask. I have no idea what they do. Dont know their pay scales/terms/holiday allowance etc. Go ask a Frenchman??

They're at school for over six hours, is this not enough for them??

They might be in school for 6 hours they don't have 6 hours of lessons though, schools usually have either 5 x 60 minute lessons or 6 x 50 minute lessons. The kids are not learning from the minute they get in the room till the minute they leave to go to other lessons.

My kids would have preferred to do an extra couple of hours a day at school instead of home works, and having kids in school from 8 to 5 would maybe help some working parents.

Most secondary schools run breakfast clubs and after school or homework clubs. So kids are catered for 8am to 5pm, which is more than generous.

Are kids not at school long enough, why must they have to do homework??

After a long day at work, and also having to pick my partner up at 5:30pm, making sure that our 5 and 10 year olds get there homeworks done is a pain.

It eats into the evening family time and so should be done away with.

In which case,tell the kids not to bother but you must inform the school to spare the children.Other people will waste time explaining why you do it but I wont waste my breath-perhaps next parents evening?

Are kids not at school long enough, why must they have to do homework??

After a long day at work, and also having to pick my partner up at 5:30pm, making sure that our 5 and 10 year olds get there homeworks done is a pain.

It eats into the evening family time and so should be done away with.

Did you never go to school? or, did you just not bother doing you're homework, kids are learning constantly, better them just sat in front of TV with an Xbox or similar.

Considering most teachers are paid for just 39 weeks a year - albeit spread over 12 months. Answer me, would you work through your holidays for nothing. NO? Oh why should they then.

Being self employed I often work for nothing and during times I had planned to have off.

You will find that they DO undertake this work when they "have no lessons". That's why the kids go home at 3-4. Even you must realise there is still plenty of work to do without kids present.

The teachers go home a 3-4 and have time during the school day in which they have no lessons.

Have you any idea of what planning goes into a lesson. Same subject(s) it might be. It still has to be planned, adjusted, documented and reported on. The guidelines/special needs/methods and subject may need to adjusted for every single lesson.
Yes

Also, do you seriously think that a teacher would sit there getting on with lesson planning/marking/preparation and other admin whilst at the same time being in "teaching time" and supervising a class full of kids? Hmmm. Cant see that going down well with the PTA - Teacher sits there doing paperwork whilst kids trying to learn. Teacher ignores disruptive child becuase they were too busy filling in their audit reports....... I can see the Daily Fail headlines now.

Yes they often marked work during lesson and it’s the only time one of my teacher friends will mark work, he claims lesson planning is unnecessary. He knows what he will be teaching from week to week and can make changes if necessary without much planning.

I think you will find most teachers work well above 40 hours a week with a hell of a lot less paid holiday.
Not the ones I know

As for what happens on the Continent. You very right to ask. I have no idea what they do. Dont know their pay scales/terms/holiday allowance etc. Go ask a Frenchman??

It was you that brought them up and they appear to manage their time quite well, maybe they had a better start in life what with working harder at school.

The teachers go home a 3-4 and have time during the school day in which they have no lessons.

I don't know which school you're referring to but I don't know of any where the teachers do this.

They may have time during the school day when they have no lessons, although this is becoming rarer, its classed as PPA time (look it up).

Now if you have real evidence that teachers are sat lazing in the staff room during PPA time (the head wouldn't be too pleased to see that), then please share it.

I don't know which school you're referring to but I don't know of any where the teachers do this.

They may have time during the school day when they have no lessons, although this is becoming rarer, its classed as PPA time (look it up).

Now if you have real evidence that teachers are sat lazing in the staff room during PPA time (the head wouldn't be too pleased to see that), then please share it.

Why do you expect me to proof what I have said yet you haven't tried to prove what you have said, and I know the teacher leave when the kids leave because I see them and know some of them.

no need to ask, it was volunteered: see post 28 above ;)

Don't know the ins & outs of my sister in law's package. She does not complain (much) and does not strike. She knew full well what she was letting herself in for.

As a professional -and since teachers want recognition as such- working well beyond what the contract says verbatim comes with the territory. If they can't stand the heat, etc...try the shopfloor instead?

Archived