Should there be a tax on soft drinks?

Or maybe people should just exercise more.

Does anyone know how much exercise you'd need to do to work off the calories in a can of non-diet soft drink? Better still, how long would you need to run/cycle/swim to work off a bucket-full that's served in McDonalds, or at the cinema?

Why is it muck, just because you don't drink it, and that's why you are in agreement about putting tax on it. Joker.:suspect:

Have you read the label - that will give you an idea about the muck that is in it.

---------- Post added 29-01-2013 at 20:41 ----------

From the linked article -

Which would seem to suggest this is not the first place to start in tackling the increased incidence of fatties.

Not necessarily..........the added (proper) sugar could probably be less of an health issue than the non added sugar variety that contains chemicals / additives.

Have you read the label - that will give you an idea about the muck that is in it.

---------- Post added 29-01-2013 at 20:41 ----------

Not necessarily..........the added (proper) sugar could probably be less of an health issue than the non added sugar variety that contains chemicals / additives.

I have just read the ingredients for both and I cant see anything that could be in anyway described as "muck."

The only thing that I though was funny was this from wiki..

"Some surveys have also revealed that mass consumption of Diet Coke may cause Erectile Dysfunction along with Premature Ejaculation."

I have just read the ingredients for both and I cant see anything that could be in anyway described as "muck."

The only thing that I though was funny was this from wiki..

"Some surveys have also revealed that mass consumption of Diet Coke may cause Erectile Dysfunction along with Premature Ejaculation."

So this ingredient doesn't bother you:

In addition to being a chemical reagent, phosphoric acid has a wide variety of uses, including as a rust remover, food additive, dental and orthopedic etch, electrolyte, flux, dispersing agent, industrial etch, fertilizer feedstock, and component of home cleaning products

Whilst I think soda drinks are unhealthy muck, which I personally choose to avoid, I don't see why the state should interfere in other people's choices to push themselves off this mortal coil as quickly as they wish.

As long as people are aware that it is unhealthy muck, then fine, I'm sure they can weigh up the choice for themselves.

The 20% tax that is already levied seems sufficient to me.

Apparently they make you fat, have nothing but empty calories and are contributing to obesity and the lardy state.

"Leading medical bodies are calling for a 20p-per-litre levy on soft drinks to be included in this year's Budget.

More than 60 organisations, including the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, are backing the recommendation by food and farming charity Sustain.

They say it would raise £1bn a year in duty to fund free fruit and meals in schools to improve children's health."

Is this a brilliant idea that will raise money for much needed health education and nutritious school meals or is it the curmudgeonly, miserable busy bodies sticking their noses in where they aren't wanted?

I'm wondering if this figure is based on actual sales remaining the same. My feeling is adding 20p on a £2 bottle of pop would encourage people not to buy, after all its working out at a 10% increase. What next, put an extra levy on chocolates and sweets, or anything that contains sugar ?

It should be up to individuals to decide what they wish to purchase, without others dictating whats good or bad. There are other ways round this without resorting to big price hikes. I remember getting free milk at school, as a kid, look what happened to that, too expensive to fund so it went ! I feel that the same would eventually happen to this new idea a few years down the line.

Archived