Should there be a tax on soft drinks?

I think energy drinks are a major problems, boggles my mind when I see fat people necking cans of that monster drink in the street.

Most mornings on my way to work, I pass some primary-school kids on their way to school. They are usually clutching cans of pop (and bags of crisps and chocolate bars). This is at 8 in the morning, presumably that's the poor little sods' breakfasts? One or two of them look to be fairly hefty, even at such a young age. Not good.

I think energy drinks are a major problems, boggles my mind when I see fat people necking cans of that monster drink in the street.

Energy drinks are nothing but a con ! The bigger the name the bigger the price.

They contain nothing much more than water, glucose(sugar) and salt. Anybody wanting to pay around £1.30 for the privilege, must be mad.

Apparently they make you fat, have nothing but empty calories and are contributing to obesity and the lardy state.

"Leading medical bodies are calling for a 20p-per-litre levy on soft drinks to be included in this year's Budget.

More than 60 organisations, including the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, are backing the recommendation by food and farming charity Sustain.

They say it would raise £1bn a year in duty to fund free fruit and meals in schools to improve children's health."

Is this a brilliant idea that will raise money for much needed health education and nutritious school meals or is it the curmudgeonly, miserable busy bodies sticking their noses in where they aren't wanted?

More likely a means of funding more non jobs and busy bodies poking their noses into everyones business.

Or pay the wages of people with the clipboards who do there best to strangle the life out of grass roots sports.

---------- Post added 29-01-2013 at 21:31 ----------

Energy drinks are nothing but a con ! The bigger the name the bigger the price.

They contain nothing much more than water, glucose(sugar) and salt. Anybody wanting to pay around £1.30 for the privilege, must be mad.

Thats not true, we sell Vimto Flavoured energy drinks for £7, a formulated sports drink that contains H2o formula, and this hydrates the body and aids with sugar replenishment.

The ingrediants are

one shot of vimto

eight shots of water

6 shots of sugar

Most mornings on my way to work, I pass some primary-school kids on their way to school. They are usually clutching cans of pop (and bags of crisps and chocolate bars). This is at 8 in the morning, presumably that's the poor little sods' breakfasts? One or two of them look to be fairly hefty, even at such a young age. Not good.

This is an instance where Parents need kicking up their backsides.

Pure laziness on their behalf ! Many are probably still in bed when their children leave for school, when they should be up ensuring they get their Weetabix.

This is an instance where Parents need kicking up their backsides.

Pure laziness on their behalf ! Many are probably still in bed when their children leave for school, when they should be up ensuring they get their Weetabix.

It is more likely they have left for work,and leave the dinner money on the table,which is exchanged for crisps etc.

More likely a means of funding more non jobs and busy bodies poking their noses into everyones business.

Or pay the wages of people with the clipboards who do there best to strangle the life out of grass roots sports.

---------- Post added 29-01-2013 at 21:31 ----------

Thats not true, we sell Vimto Flavoured energy drinks for £7, a formulated sports drink that contains H2o formula, and this hydrates the body and aids with sugar replenishment.

The ingrediants are

one shot of vimto

eight shots of water

6 shots of sugar

£7 for that???

we should ban all offers on food that is bad for you. The number of times I am told by a cashier "they are on offer you know, 2 for 1" which I reply "but I will eat 2 and I don't want 2" is usually responded to with a puzzled look.

Archived