Should there be a tax on soft drinks?

Because it has no nutritional value, tastes rank and is full of empty calories.

---------- Post added 30-01-2013 at 07:41 ----------

That's a total con. An utter rip - off. You're making a huge profit at the expense of other people's gullibility.

You supped this so called muck when you were a kid and and ate crisp chocolate and sweets, it wasn't muck then was it, anyhow because this gov are in a big hole and digging it deeper they are just taxing anything to get them out of it.

You supped this so called muck when you were a kid and and ate crisp chocolate and sweets, it wasn't muck then was it, anyhow because this gov are in a big hole and digging it deeper they are just taxing anything to get them out of it.

I hardly ever drank fizzy pop when I was a kid actually and I very very rarely drink it today.

not bothered if you did or not actually, but the actual topic is should soft drinks be taxed, no one asked for a lecture on nutritional values.:suspect:

The fact that it has no nutritional value and no health benefit is one of the main reasons why a tax on it would be fair, just as with cigarettes and tobacco - not necessary, unhealthy and potentially very harmful.

The fact that it has no nutritional value and no health benefit is one of the main reasons why a tax on it would be fair, just as with cigarettes and tobacco - not necessary, unhealthy and potentially very harmful.

I think it would be highly regressive,and it would harm children financially.I would be happy to see adults pay the tax,but for kids it is a bit harsh,especially as fruit juice is very corrosive and calorific.Kids are hardly going to switch to tea ad coffee.

Agreed. At least (usually) its only adults partaking in the tobacco and alcohol. "Pop" is routinely provided to children who have no absolute choice in the matter.

---------- Post added 30-01-2013 at 09:50 ----------

I think it would be highly regressive,and it would harm children financially.I would be happy to see adults pay the tax,but for kids it is a bit harsh,especially as fruit juice is very corrosive and calorific.Kids are hardly going to switch to tea ad coffee.

In a reasonable quantity fruit juice is extremely good for children..........as is water.

and where do you think george osbourn will stop on taxing things that are no good for you- the list is endless

what do you drink

Apparently they make you fat, have nothing but empty calories and are contributing to obesity and the lardy state.

"Leading medical bodies are calling for a 20p-per-litre levy on soft drinks to be included in this year's Budget.

More than 60 organisations, including the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, are backing the recommendation by food and farming charity Sustain.

They say it would raise £1bn a year in duty to fund free fruit and meals in schools to improve children's health."

Is this a brilliant idea that will raise money for much needed health education and nutritious school meals or is it the curmudgeonly, miserable busy bodies sticking their noses in where they aren't wanted?

Yet another leftie health organisation wanting to punish hardworking people. We already get taxed too much in this country. If someone wants to eat and drink unhealthily let them its their own stupid fault.

Archived