Should there be a tax on soft drinks?

Yet another leftie health organisation wanting to punish hardworking people. We already get taxed too much in this country. If someone wants to eat and drink unhealthily let them its their own stupid fault.

But then my taxes have to rise to pay for the health care of these people......do you nit see the correlation? Why not tax those making unhealthy choices at source - rather than making us all pay for them?

But then my taxes have to rise to pay for the health care of these people......do you nit see the correlation? Why not tax those making unhealthy choices at source - rather than making us all pay for them?

Well then the solution would be to restrict access to healthcare to those that leave unhealthy lives. For example refusing liver transplants for those that drink heavily. Forcing them to go private and pay for it themselves rather than us.

Also everyone is punished if you tax soft drinks. Even a sensible drinker like you and me have to pay more out of our wages.

Don't worry, I suspect the state costs of looking after people that choose not die early far exceed the health care costs for 'these' people.

Well then the solution would be to restrict access to healthcare to those that leave unhealthy lives. For example refusing liver transplants for those that drink heavily. Forcing them to go private and pay for it themselves rather than us.

Also everyone is punished if you tax soft drinks. Even a sensible drinker like you and me have to pay more out of our wages.

Not me - never buy the stuff, nor chicken nuggets, or fish fingers, or "pretend" ice cream or margarine...........

Disagree with the restriction of heath care - who makes that judgement call? Those who have tried to lead a healthy life get ill too. Prevention far better.

Energy drinks are nothing but a con ! The bigger the name the bigger the price.

They contain nothing much more than water, glucose(sugar) and salt. Anybody wanting to pay around £1.30 for the privilege, must be mad.

They also contain oodles of caffeine (and in some, taurine), which is kind of the point.

jb

---------- Post added 30-01-2013 at 10:58 ----------

So this ingredient doesn't bother you:

In addition to being a chemical reagent, phosphoric acid has a wide variety of uses, including as a rust remover, food additive, dental and orthopedic etch, electrolyte, flux, dispersing agent, industrial etch, fertilizer feedstock, and component of home cleaning products

Why would it? The dose makes the poison and at less than a millilitre a can consider me unconcerned. If I were you I would be more worried about the hydrochloric acid already in your stomach.

jb

---------- Post added 30-01-2013 at 10:59 ----------

Does anyone know how much exercise you'd need to do to work off the calories in a can of non-diet soft drink? Better still, how long would you need to run/cycle/swim to work off a bucket-full that's served in McDonalds, or at the cinema?

139 calories in a can of coke, this equates to around 30-40 minutes walking at 3mph.

jb

Why would it? The dose makes the poison and at less than a millilitre a can consider me unconcerned. If I were you I would be more worried about the hydrochloric acid already in your stomach.

jb

It's the homoeopathic coke you need to worry about.

:hihi:

139 calories in a can of coke, this equates to around 30-40 minutes walking at 3mph.

jb

Or about an hour and a half sat in front of the telly, as long as you're not drinking coke.

:)

So this ingredient doesn't bother you:

In addition to being a chemical reagent, phosphoric acid has a wide variety of uses, including as a rust remover, food additive, dental and orthopedic etch, electrolyte, flux, dispersing agent, industrial etch, fertilizer feedstock, and component of home cleaning products

No of course it doesn't as acids are present in a lot of what we eat. Eating a healthy? apple or drinking some orange juice would probable have a worse effect than a can of pop. The worse thing that it can do is erode tooth enamel just like any other acid does.

I use salt and also use vinegar on fish and chips but combine the two on their own and it makes a great copper cleaner.

EDIT have to add that I will not use that awful, harsh non brewed condiment.

---------- Post added 30-01-2013 at 14:46 ----------

Because it has no nutritional value, tastes rank and is full of empty calories.

But water has no nutritional value either and there is no such thing as an empty calorie, it either has calories or not.

Archived