Asking a manager to extend a fixed term contract

My work contract will expire on 31st March 2013 my position was covering a secondment. However the person who has secondment is waiting to hear whether her job will be extended for longer. I want to ask manage about my employment status and whether I my contract will extredned. I struggling to use carefully chosen words to ask her, I want to empathise that ?I hope you understand that I would need to know the company's decision prior the end of my contract date, whether my employment would be extended, so I will have enough time to look for others employment.? I have also seen another position in another department doing the same position in the department and I want to make sure my manager is aware that I will be applying for it. However I am struggling to put this in words without sounding desperate. I ideally I would like to stay as I get on with the team and I am learning loads. Many Thanks

Do you want to write a letter or have a face to face meeting?

If a letter firstly put down bullet points of what you want to ask, why you want to stay, your position if your contract isn't extended, the other position that you would like etc..

Then write these in paragraphs keeping to the point, don't waffle or plead :-)

If its a face to face meeting, is your manager approachable? Do you need to make an appointment or is it a case of "can I just have 5 minutes?"

Before you chat with him write down the bullet points on a card and go through them, don't rehearse too much you will just start to add things.

Start with positives..how you enjoy your work, how much you have learned, how you hope you are an asset to the team etc..

Then outline your position simply and state you would like your contract to be extended if the other secondee has her contract extended.

Then just mention the other position and that you hope he/she (your manager) understands.

Will you apply for the other position irrespective of your contract being extended?

If so then would you start that new position before 31st March?

Hope this helps.

Its not desperate to want to stay at your job. Its quite complimentary to the employer actually. If you are a good worker they will want to keep you. I would apply for the other job either way if its permanent. If they want to keep you in the department you are in now they will have to find a permanent job for you there.

Its not desperate to want to stay at your job. Its quite complimentary to the employer actually. If you are a good worker they will want to keep you. I would apply for the other job either way if its permanent. If they want to keep you in the department you are in now they will have to find a permanent job for you there.

So long as that does not defacto make the OP permanent in the post potentially having two people for the job when the original employer needs to return to it at the end of their secondment........and then the decision would need to be made as to who gets made redundant.

To the OP - don't worry about sounding desperate - just ask your manager if they know if your contract is to be extended.

Archived