Things that you just don't see now!

desy

How about days that went dark about 2.30 in the afternoon due to all the air pollution. Days on end of smog for the same reason. Kids making 'slides ' on frosty mornings. Scratch football games in the street using coats as goal posts, cricket played on the street with wickets chalked on brick walls. Playing outside all summer long, we know the sun always shined during the summer holidays. Charra trips to the coast, thanks to working mens clubs. I could go on and on.

• 3 weeks later...

Corner Shops and the contents:

Bundled fire wood ready for sale.

Flat bottom cakes

Spangle sweeks

Chotolate wagon wheels that were as big as a wagon wheels (They have definatley got smaller) so have mars bars

On the street :

Policemen with capes

Women (or men) with wicker baskets

WHeel barrows going to the allotment

Petro stations selling parafin

School boys in short trousers and caps

Buses with the entrance at the back.

GOD I FEEL OLD AND I AM ONLY IN MY MID 40's - Honest:thumbsup:

For some strange reason my mother's yorkshire pud was the best in the world when cooked in a coal fired oven in Brightside. When we moved to classy Abbeydale and a gas fired oven, they were never quite the same, though still better than anywhere else in Sheffield. How's about that for starting an argument.

Hi Buck .afraid you got it wrong, it was my mother's Yorkshire cooked in a coal fire in Attercliffe,that was the best in the word.

When a new "carpet" was needed Mom would cut strips of woollen material and we’d sit listening to the radio at night pegging rugs

Coming home seeing the bread cakes cooling on the windowsill

Hair washing was a bit of an ordeal, the final rinse always had vinegar in , mom swore it kept the nits away and then the rags wrapped around so tight for my ringlets, how I slept I’ll never know. When there was an outbreak of nits I would sit on the floor in-between moms knees being nitted, I can still hear the noise of them being squashed.

The women of the street discussing which Poultice would be the best when something had turn “septic”

Mrs. Smith our next door neighbour was always sent for to lay people out when they died

Mom sending me with her shopping list to wait in the queue at Hartlands our local grocers and waiting forever while the women chatted, put the world to rights and then decided how much off their “strap” they could afford to pay off this week, Mom would turn up just before it was my turn, clever that.

Someone giving me the Indian Burn for the first time

Born 1937, Hollythorpe Rise.

`No Spitting' signs on the tops of trams. (Should bring them back.)

Going to a friend's house and asking if they were coming out to play.

Just messing about, far and wide.

Drinking taps with metal cup attached by chain (usually in the park).

Horse troughs.

Queues.

Icicles.

Caterpillars.

Dubbin.

Home made wooden swords.

Walking to School (Carfield) and back, alone.

Re white dog mess, maybe they ate bones then.

The pop wagon.

Blokes with a bucket and shovel following the rag man's horse.

Hot water bottles.

Boys wearing braces.

Policemen wearing capes.

Most men wearing hats or caps.

Folk waiting for pubs to open.

Copy paper.

Brown paper parcels.

Quiet Sheffield United supporters.

Archived