Things that you just don't see now!

desy

Note only just remember must have been very young" Gloops" and the Gloops club.

Yes I remember that nightly GLOOPS feature in the 'Star', talking of which, the latest cricket scores and racing results in the STOP PRESS.

What about the shilling in the slot,i remember having a baby sitter one night so we could go out and i forgot to leave a shilling for the slot ,poor thing sat in the dark all night,no tv no nothing.

Snow that seemed to last for weeks (after a few days would have a black crust on from the smoke from the coal fires) Kids with rosy red noses and cheeks sledging down the middle of the road ,din't feel the cowd them days:huh: Every now and again stoping to empty the water out of the wellies.

Drying hands at the front of a roarin fire...getting hot aches.:help:

What a fantastic thread. So many things brought to mind. I wasn't allowed anything from the penny (trash tray) as my dad used to call it. Loved cod liver oil amd malt. Can't remember bubbly gum in jubblies though. Can anyone remember having to queue at the doctors surgery to have their polo jabs? I remember satnding in the queue and was so frightenend I ran off round the lump telling anyone who knew me not to tell. Got caught though and I actually never felt the injection!! Happy days!!

Not in my neck of the woods :). Screwballs had the bubblegum at the bottom of the container and were filled with icecream. Jubblies were made with flavoured ice and had the bubblegum on the top, like a cherry.

Oh right. I agree about the screwball.

The jubblies I had were just a chunk of coloured, flavoured ice, usually frozen in one of those tetrahedron shaped paper packs. You obviously had the deluxe version with the bubbly on top!

We had an ice cream man that would make you a cornet and stick one of those long cylindrical ice lollies in the top, in the manner of a flake in a 99, but with the lolly stick uppermost. You got two treats in one. Cant remember what that combination was called. Anyone?

this is still one of the best threads on the forum in my opinion.

i ignore my reminders and then store them all up for a proper read every so often.

i feel a bit cheated on having missed out on some of the treats- others, well, maybe im glad i missed! lol

thank you- this is proper history. not just what you read in books but actual experiences, which personally i find much more intriguing.

sophie

x

We had an ice cream man that would make you a cornet and stick one of those long cylindrical ice lollies in the top, in the manner of a flake in a 99, but with the lolly stick uppermost. You got two treats in one. Cant remember what that combination was called. Anyone?

I dunno what they're called, but I believe the ice cream van outside the entrance to the botanical gardens still do these? Or at least they did a few years ago!

Archived