Things that you just don't see now!

desy

My Nan always had squares of newspaper hanging from string on the back of the lav door. Guests always said it made a good impression.:hihi:
"The Radio Times" was very popular....The smell of "IZAL" and the "Whitwash walls" and the "Hessian lagging" on the pipework

Stone floor...Shear Luxury.

things ya dont see anymore ,

ermmmmmmm,

try White dogcrap, :hihi:

i remember once picking it up as a kid and chalking wi it, mi mother caught us and went balistic, lol

i was only young but i remember it well....:hihi: pmsl

• 2 weeks later...

Taking pop bottles back to the shop to get the money back then spending it on sweets usually blackjacks or fruit salads. Anybody remember going to the shop to buy a homemade ice lolly for a penny?

I was born in Sheffield in 1942, but moved to Lincolnshire in 1973 and so I have no idea if some of what I have mentioned below is still around.

The Oatcake and Pikelete shop on Crookes

The Sasparilla shop a few doors away

The game of Five Stones

Sherbet filled Flying Saucers

Not PC now, but Gollywogs

Paper aeroplanes

I can remember a folded paper game where a number was called by each one of a group in turn. It involved a ritual, by that many times, opening and closing the paper that had messages written underneath the folds like, “I am daft and potty,” that the number caller had to read out, much to the amusement of the others. The folds of paper also had As & Bs written on them to give a further choice.

Skipping rhymes

There was some ritualistic game involving clenched hands, with some weird chant that went something like, “One potato, two potato, three potato…”, Somebody please enlighten me on this.

Spitting Prohibited sign in Tram Car Saloons.

Putting pennies on tram lines.

Methane gas lamps. There is probably one still up Toftwood Road.

People with Goiters or Rickets used to be a fairly common sight.

Playing tag or tiggy as we called it.

Balsawood gliders.

Homemade Christmas trimmings in the form of chains that were licked and stuck together.

Daisy chains.

Knotted handkerchiefs worn to keep the sun off.

The Sunday walk in the park. Usually Endcliffe Park, Whitely Woods or Forge Dam.

Whitsuntide Parades. Do these events still happen?

Rag Day and the Twikker. As a child I once designed the cover for that and it was used.

Going to sleep at night listening to the Drop Hammer echoing across the valley.

Brass bands in Weston Park.

Air Raid sirens.

Holes in shoes and string for belts.

Long icicles hanging from gutters.

The thunder of snow falling off the roof.

Snow chains on car tyres.

Please and thank you.

Cheers, Dave

Nice list Dave, just two i think still used as far as i know, thats Balsa gliders and the knotted hankerchiefs, i've seen outside workmen wearing those.

I was born in 1941 in Sheff.

Poppins.

There was some ritualistic game involving clenched hands, with some weird chant that went something like, “One potato, two potato, three potato…”, Somebody please enlighten me on this.

Good stuff indeed

I was born in Jessops in 1962, emigrated to Lincolnshire in the mid 1980s.

I don't know a name other than One potato etc.

Found this British Film Institute (BFI) film on the channel4 website entitled "One potato, two potato" although I suspect broadband will be required to view it, but worth a try:

http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/archive/one_potato.html

Archived