Things that you just don't see now!

desy

Curly Flypapers...

We live in rural Lincolnshire and since muck spreading has been carried out on the surrounding fields quite recently, our kitchen is festooned with these. They are available for as little as £1 per dozen from Boston market. Isn't that interesting :)

Talking of "spuds" My "other half/Our Lass" remembers putting potato peelings on the fire to help out on the fuel bills...We were into recycling in those days more than we are now...

If I remember right, the tater peeling were to keep the fire in all night, making it easier to light the following morning.

I always remember us once having a detonater (or so my dad said) in the coal. Frightened the living daylights out of me when it went off and there were burning bits of coal and ashes flying all over.

Someone was talking about the "good old days" recently, and fondly remembering the warm summer nights sitting on the front step talking to the neighbours til the early hours. I remember my dad saying that this was because they didn't want to go to bed 'cos of the bed bugs!

I haven’t gone through all the threads on this posting, and it’s probably too long ago for most posters to remember, but what about the aspidestras that used to sit in a large pot in practically everybody’s front window. I’m going back to the 1920s and 1930s. Not seen one from those days to today.

Did you ask for a discount if you took all three off his hands? ;)

The shop-keeper said they were rare. He wanted too much for one — never mind all three! And anyway, I didn’t have a kennel big enough to keep it in.

I haven’t gone through all the threads on this posting, and it’s probably too long ago for most posters to remember, but what about the aspidestras that used to sit in a large pot in practically everybody’s front window. I’m going back to the 1920s and 1930s. Not seen one from those days to today.

My Gran used to have a massive plant, they are virtually indestructible; she used to water it with left over tea from the pot, always said that was the "secret" of its good condition!

:huh:

Archived