Things that you just don't see now!

desy

The waist-coat with the gold chain & watch, I think the, now established 'mugger' put paid to that.

The black stone buildings & 'peas-souper' fogs & the bronchitis that everybody had & the green phlegm that used to be all over the pavemants.

The sparrows you would hear all day long.

The beer-offs?

The pubs on most street corners in town.

On seaside holidays, the white knotted hankies as sun protection.

Being served petrol at the garage & the RedeX shots you were offered.

Being served in pubs while sat in your seat.

Hello everyone,

Iv had a wonderful time reading everyones comments.Can i just ask if anyone can remember Mr Hanley the fishmonger and along from his shop there was a greengroser called Jukes and on Verdon Street a bakers shop by the name of Lakes? I used to live on Rock Street just opposite Verdon street i could see Mr Benetts shop too he was across the road from Mrs Lakes shop.

OH by the way i do remember the owners of the white house fish and chip shop it was Bernard and Cath sadly Cath if i heard correctly dropped down dead in the chip shop:( Kind Regards

Hello everyone,

Iv had a wonderful time reading everyones comments.Can i just ask if anyone can remember Mr Hanley the fishmonger and along from his shop there was a greengroser called Jukes and on Verdon Street a bakers shop by the name of Lakes? I used to live on Rock Street just opposite Verdon street i could see Mr Benetts shop too he was across the road from Mrs Lakes shop.

OH by the way i do remember the owners of the white house fish and chip shop it was Bernard and Cath sadly Cath if i heard correctly dropped down dead in the chip shop:( Kind Regards

Hiya Frankincense, :wave: welcome to the (i'm affraid) addictive SF.

The only memory I have of that area is the big store 'Wilson Tupholmes' (sorry if spelt wrong) my mum used to take me there every saturday morning & I used to dash straight to the toy dept, just to look, while my mum was paying on her weekly account.

Memories eh!

- Buying Smart Rs stretch jeans from Jeanery on Fargate.

- Harrington jackets and Stay Prest trousers from Harringtons in Castle Market (going up the almost vertical wooden staircase to reach the changing cubicle).

- Punks and New Romantics in Impulse in Barkers Pool, complete with cave-like artexed interior.

- Bumping your head at school and having the nurse smear it with some strange yellow chemical.

- Catching the 52 bus on High Street and wondering why there were always more number 95s.

- Guns'n'Ammunition on The Wicker

- Chickens on the rotisserie just inside the Castle House entrance

- Subways in the city centre

- Queueing up in the alleway beside the ABC cinema when a big film was showing.

- Schofields department store

- Going up town with my Mum on cold winter evenings to see the Christmas lights be switched on.

- Lew Bergins barbers and the Army / Navy / Airforce recruitment office above the Castle Market.

- C&A

- Just Micro computer games shop on Carver Street.

- Romeo & Juliet's / Cairo Jaxs nighclub on Bank Street.

and not forgetting that children's wonderland...

- Redgates!

Loads more...

Archived