Things that you just don't see now!

desy

Things keep springing to mind :-

Kids fishing in park ponds for tadpoles and sticklebacks and bringing them home in jam-jars .

A rash of red poppies on most people's clothes just before Nov. 11th. and checking to see who hadn't bought one . [ I know poppies are still worn today but not nearly so much ].

The cane at school ; at one stage a few of us in one class used to get one or two on the hand every day . It was regarded as normal for fooling around or talking out of place . I wonder if we can still sue them for ' mental and emotional anguish ' !!

Dinnefords and malt for kids' upset stomachs .....etc......

Cream biscuits and bananas just after the war .

Bonfire night in your own garden and with the chance of visiting other friends' bonfires when yours had finished . [ I think today the fashion is for big community bonfires ]

Poor kids going to school in wellingtons all the year round .

Snugs , saloon bars and public bars in pubs.

The scramble to drink up in pubs as you could order up to 10 p.m but were supposed to have drunk up by 10 p.m. !

The circus that used to visit that spare land on Division-Fitzwilliam Streets.

Houses with gas lamps on the wall for internal lighting: (they went "POP" when you turned them on and off - scary!)

Top-loading washing machines, mangles, wooden racks full of wet washing that you hauled up to the kitchen ceiling by a rope and pulley.

Hand-operated sewing machines: treadle-operated sewing machines.

Paper patterns for home dress-making.

Electric irons that plugged in to the bulb-holder of the central ceiling-light.

Hand-knitted swimming costumes, that stretched for ever when you went in the sea.

Boiling up "lights" for the cat's dinner.

Tripe.

Rabbit stew.

Huge batteries for the wireless, that had to be taken back to the shop to be

re-filled / re-charged, always with the warning that they mustn't be allowed to touch your leg as you carried them.

The thick, grey, glutinous mince-cum-stew for school dinners -very tasty!

Plastic bus tokens.

Liberty bodices with rubber buttons.

Making a dolls' house from a cardboard box, and making all the furniture and furnishings to go in it.

The little jointed plastic (celluloid?) dolls, about three and a half inches tall,

and making 'dresses' for them out of lacy hankies.........

Cardboard Kaleidoscopes

A Rubbing Board in Wash House.

A must for a child was a penknife, with as many add-ons as possible.

White tape tied round your socks to keep them up just below your knee.

Plimsolls for Sports Days

A Handerchief in your pocket at all times.

An empty matchbox for insects.

A battery torch.... an essential schoolboy accessory on dark nights.

I think between us we've almost re-created the world of Sheffield in the '40's and '50's !

Everytime I read a new post it triggers off not only memories of the topics but new ones too .

'Rinso ' was favourite washing powder on wash days ----nearly always on a Monday .

Boys wore short trousers until they were about 11 or 12 generally .The Central library where you HAD to be quiet and where there were only books to borrow . In the Central library , too , old destitute -looking men pretending to read the newspapers on display whilst they had a quick , warm nap .

Free school excercise books ------but your old one HAD to be absolutely full.

A personal one this -------listening to Dick Barton , Special Agent on the radio and the Bruce Woodcock v.Jack ??????? when Woodcock's jaw was broken in an early round but he carried on .

Peterdo :-

Thanks for your reply but I'm almost sure it wasn't Jack Dempsey .It was an American , for sure , and for years I thought it was something like , " Sharkey " but a friend later told me it was Jack ///////// and that's the one I can't remember !

Thursday your'er just showing off because you were rich,modern contraption's washing machine & electric iron's(they will never work),whats wrong with the 6 cast Iron's 3 on each side of the coal fire /oven,spit on them and when spit sizzled start ironing & fast.

Does anyone remember the Festival of Britain in 1951... were street parties held?

I remember at my Primary School, workmen turning up to build a range of Tropical Fish Tanks all the way down the Main School Corridor.....filled with Neon fish, Angels, and Zebra fish.

Also, can you remember seeing your first Neon Sign...?

A few months before moving to my Tech High school, after the 11+ Exams, the people on the street decided to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth with a street party. It was decided that one girl and one boy from the street would enact the part of the Queen and Prince Philip respectively at the celebrations.

I got the short straw, and ended up wearing a home made "Coldstream Guards Outfit" complete with busby, the girl dressed in a home made bridal type dress with a long purple robe and "Crown".

On the day, it teemed with rain and the whole street repaired to a large room (the "Buffaloes" Meeting Room) over a local pub and we had the party inside.

A day or two later, the street party took place, the two of us dressed up again, and street sports, games took place. I still blush when I look at the photo......

Funnily enough, come my first year at the new school, the black "suede"

trousers were modified for me to use as an "Indian" in the first ever School Play " Pocahontas".

It seemed to be a year of humiliation for me :)

Archived