Help with my childs homework topic: The community

I remember homework. You got given it, you went to your room and did it. Yourself. As a result you learned things.

Not having a pop at the OP, as this is clearly what education is like these days, but really.

All the educational research done over the last 20 years has shown that most children learn more effectively with guidance. Some will enjoy the challenge of working out/guessing what the teacher wants them to produce; most will do better with some structured guidelines.The older they are, the more independent they should be.

The teacher will have a scheme of work and a mark scheme which spell out the assessment objectives (content and the skills) which the project will cover. They would normally share those with the pupils before they send them off to start researching.

But it shouldn't be the parents who are doing the project.

As a retired teacher i would suggest breaking it down into:

Introduction : what I think 'community' means

how my commmunity began (historical perspective)

institutions/places/buildings

people (linch pins)

events

the past

the future

The child is 7. The homework is about the community. Not going to get far sitting in his room is he?

No indeed. We had homework about the Iliad and Geometry at my school at the same time so taking pictures of cars with mummy was not a key part of the syllabus. Still, I'm sure the Chinese are majoring on educating their kids like this so we can definitely compete in the modern world.

Hi im after some ideas that i can do with my child for his homework project 'The Community'. Ideas must be suitable for a 7yr old child. So far i have taken him out in the local area and he's taken photos of some things like the post box,Telephone lines, Buses,Cars, Litter bins and wrote a little bit about why these are important in a community. We have also done a Scatter chart of people who help keep the community clean,safe and tidy and hes drawn little pictures of each of his examples like a police car, fire truck, crossing person etc

I have now exhausted my ideas of what else to do with him, the more creative the better as he loves crafty things but anything you can suggest will help

thanks Bizzy_Lizzy

When I was at art college, I did a six month project on a particular bus stop in town (think it was the 44 by Sheaf Market ... but a long time ago) The bus stop had a litter bin attached to it. I used to empty it out and make collages with it. Lots of photos of people queuing there ... paintings and drawings. People thought I was mad, but I did come top of the year. I ended up getting accepted by the Slade, but turned it down (scared). Biggest regret of my life.

Support your son if he has artistic tendencies (obviously, if he doesn't too!) You can make a project out of anything! Make sure he has watercolours and crayons. How about going to Chatsworth farm for a day, or Kelham Island Museum ... it stimulates the mind. :)

No indeed. We had homework about the Iliad and Geometry at my school at the same time so taking pictures of cars with mummy was not a key part of the syllabus. Still, I'm sure the Chinese are majoring on educating their kids like this so we can definitely compete in the modern world.

So learning some 2000+ year old story is more valuable than learning about todays community ?

And as for doing Geometry at age 7 - as Ricky Tomlinson would say, "my arse"

---------- Post added 01-02-2013 at 00:15 ----------

But, back on topic - how about the local library to see if they have pictures of how the area has changed over the years ?

So learning some 2000+ year old story is more valuable than learning about todays community ?

And as for doing Geometry at age 7 - as Ricky Tomlinson would say, "my arse"

If you take a fat scouse moron as a roll model then the concept of rudimentary geometry at age 7 is probably like space travel to a goldfish.

It is however your loss.

If you take a fat scouse moron as a roll model then the concept of rudimentary geometry at age 7 is probably like space travel to a goldfish.

It is however your loss.

Where did I say I took him as a "roll" (lol) model, I was just quoting him. I'm curious now as you've turned it into a slanging match - what level of geometry did you do at age 7 ? And does it help in the cutting of grass ?

I remember homework. You got given it, you went to your room and did it. Yourself. As a result you learned things.

Not having a pop at the OP, as this is clearly what education is like these days, but really.

Today it is recognised that children learn better when they have some impact on their learning.Did what you learnt in your room contribute to a career in gardening?Your homework should have been to prune the vicar's floribunda,or researched into Bob Flowerpots biography,even listening to podcasts of GQT.

Today it is recognised that children learn better when they have some impact on their learning.Did what you learnt in your room contribute to a career in gardening?Your homework should have been to prune the vicar's floribunda,or researched into Bob Flowerpots biography,even listening to podcasts of GQT.

It contributed to a very profitable though tedious career as a young chap allowing me to be mortgage free with lots of land and very small outgoings at a relatively young age, thus allowing me to switch to a business which I have passion for, rather than what I can make most money doing. So it worked for me, if that answers your question.

Archived