Bipolar disorder, anyone know anything about it?

leddi:

I am currently on the recieving end of his silent treatment shut down phase and I'm feeling low.[/Quote]

I'm not an expert or a professional working in mental health, but, just a typical normal advice in relationships. Please don't beat yourself up about it, cos one person cannot solve the problem of others.

I hope you will remain objective emotionally, and don't always go chasing the person to want to chat and talk to you, especially if he may not want to. When they don't want to talk, it is maybe because they may want some thinking time alone. It's best that you remain active yourself and upbeat too. Do other things which you enjoy and keep a tab on your worries. I'm sure the person would maybe just want to enjoy friends companies and be treated as normal too.

Apart from pills, there are other cognitive therapies which are available. I'm not sure how a person will get referred to receive such treatments, but I suppose the GP will deal with that. Also, I hope it reassures you that the NHS is now increasing and expanding the mental health areas. Sheffield has actually got good facilities for this area of healthcare.

I do also recommend you to read that site which was posted above, Mind is a charity. I've had to search details before on such matters, and there is a lot of support out there.

So 'jump up' and 'run around' is my best suggestion.

So that's it for now. Run round, jump about, dance, swim, be jolly WITH your friend. REmember, they will always deny that anything will work, so be prepared to be knocked back..

There can be recovery but it has to be worked for and it can take a bit of energy. There can be rather negative prognosis. But lets stay positive, shall we...

I agree that excersise and something physical helps release the toxins produced but when someone is in a Manic phase I don't think it is the best advice in that case. You need to attempt to balance the mood. WHich is ultra difficult.

There can be a negative prognosis is it truly is Bi polar but many illnesses present as Bi polar and it is easy to get the dianosis wrong hence the reason for the three manic episodes before prescribing lithium.

In our social climate it is very difficult to treat naturally without intervention as the situation is unmanagable at best, and can be dangerous for all around at worst. I speak from experience as someone on the receiving end of dangerous situations when the sufferer was manic.

The flip side of mania is the deep depression and I found myself coming home from work and being afraid to walk in the door incase I found they had commited suicide. I called several times a day with job lists for them just incase my need for the house to be vaccumed would keep them alive.

hmm... reading that stuff about manic-depression/bi-polar has me worried :? i've been depressive for quite a long time now, and reading that stuff has made me think about comments i've had from girlfriends in the past about my really bad mood swings...

my last girlfriend used to compare me to a woman with really bad PMT(PMS now? :?) except its generally more often than once a month... I dunno I guess I don't really keep track of when I've entered a giddy phase or a really depressive phase... I guess people that talk to me and know would know better... I guess I'll just forget about it till the next time I have a girlfriend and if they bring it up lol i'm not going to stress over whether I'm nuttier than I think I am, I dont like doctors anyways so I cant see me doing anything about it

hmm... reading that stuff about manic-depression/bi-polar has me worried :? i've been depressive for quite a long time now, and reading that stuff has made me think about comments i've had from girlfriends in the past about my really bad mood swings...

my last girlfriend used to compare me to a woman with really bad PMT(PMS now? :?) except its generally more often than once a month... I dunno I guess I don't really keep track of when I've entered a giddy phase or a really depressive phase... I guess people that talk to me and know would know better... I guess I'll just forget about it till the next time I have a girlfriend and if they bring it up lol i'm not going to stress over whether I'm nuttier than I think I am, I dont like doctors anyways so I cant see me doing anything about it

Don't worry Xafier, it isn't as subtle as being classed as a mood swing or PMS. A manic episode can be violent at times too.

• 2 years later...

People use the term mood to describe the emotional tones that color their daily lives. Moods are everywhere and ubiquitous; everyone has them. Moods may be happy or sad; energized or sluggish; embodying various combinations of emotional states. Moods consist of feelings as well as the thoughts and judgments that give feelings their meaning. An anxious mood may shift into an excited mood with a simple change of perspective, and a depressed mood may shift into a happier one upon hearing pleasing news. Moods are typically transient things that shift from moment to moment or day to day, but they can be prolonged states as well which color the whole psychic life for long periods of time.

While people's moods rise and fall as various life events are experienced, most moods never become that extreme or feel uncontrollable. As depressed as an average person might get, it won't take too much for them to recover and start feeling better. Similarly, happy and excited moods are not easily sustainable either, and tend to regress back to a sort of average mood. Most people can't stay too depressed or too happy for any length of time.

In contrast to people who experience normal mood fluctuations are people who have Bopolar Disorder. People with bipolar disorder experience extreme and abnormal moods that stick around for prolonged periods, cause severe psychological distress, and interfere with normal functioning.

Bipolar Disorder (also known as Manic-Depression, or sometimes Bipolar Affective Disorder), is a category of serious mood disorder that causes people to swing between extreme, severe and typically sustained mood states which deeply affect their energy levels, attitudes, behavior and general ability to function. Bipolar mood swings can damage relationships, impair job or school performance, and even result in suicide. Family and friends as well as affected people often become frustrated and upset over the severity of bipolar mood swings.

Gosh i hate labels!!! Everyone is different no matter what the diagnosis they will present in an individual way. It is good to know what to expect and be prepared but sometimes it can be misleading and not how life will play out for you.

The classic at the moment is Kerry Katona bi polar my ####!!

I sometimes think we are to keen to stick people in these little boxes as it makes it easier and clearer to think about. I have seen treatment programmes and medication regimes dictated by diagnosis not the individual - this does not work as like above everyone is different and responds to different things.

My advice is get support and some very good links and advice has been provided. Be open minded and look beyond the lable and diagnosis it does not mean everything what is important is that you stay well and you want to be with the person and that you can cope. Mental health does not always dictate who you are if the person is strong enough and has the insight to recognise this.

People use the term mood to describe the emotional tones that color their daily lives. Moods are everywhere and ubiquitous; everyone has them. Moods may be happy or sad; energized or sluggish; embodying various combinations of emotional states. Moods consist of feelings as well as the thoughts and judgments that give feelings their meaning. An anxious mood may shift into an excited mood with a simple change of perspective, and a depressed mood may shift into a happier one upon hearing pleasing news. Moods are typically transient things that shift from moment to moment or day to day, but they can be prolonged states as well which color the whole psychic life for long periods of time.

While people's moods rise and fall as various life events are experienced, most moods never become that extreme or feel uncontrollable. As depressed as an average person might get, it won't take too much for them to recover and start feeling better. Similarly, happy and excited moods are not easily sustainable either, and tend to regress back to a sort of average mood. Most people can't stay too depressed or too happy for any length of time.

In contrast to people who experience normal mood fluctuations are people who have Bopolar Disorder. People with bipolar disorder experience extreme and abnormal moods that stick around for prolonged periods, cause severe psychological distress, and interfere with normal functioning.

Bipolar Disorder (also known as Manic-Depression, or sometimes Bipolar Affective Disorder), is a category of serious mood disorder that causes people to swing between extreme, severe and typically sustained mood states which deeply affect their energy levels, attitudes, behavior and general ability to function. Bipolar mood swings can damage relationships, impair job or school performance, and even result in suicide. Family and friends as well as affected people often become frustrated and upset over the severity of bipolar mood swings.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, we have a very good friend that suffers from it, and refuses to have help in any way, shape or form. We had him to stay when he was homeless for 4 years on and off - and eventually he had an effect on the kids which became intolerable.

Eventually we had to ask him to leave as the situation was beginning to affect us all, ie: walking on eggshells everytime we walked into the house.

We used to get a take away for us all, and he would refuse to eat it , and sit with us eating dry cream crackers, refusing any offers to share our food, we used to end up leaving our food as we were so embarrassed, this couldn't go on - and I felt so helpless.

Sometimes , however much you care for somebody, if they refuse to accept help, there's nothing YOU can do, only they have the power to recognise that there is help and support out there - should they choose to accept it.

He has now rejected us totally, even though he was due to be our son's godfather - Bipolar is SUCH a cruel illness.

• 1 year later...