Please help! Council Tax Summons Letter

Be warned - when I phoned them up today after making payment on this account last night, they denied any knowledge of the payment, despite my having confirmation - only cancelling the summons after my phone call stating that they wouldn't have record of payment until Monday.

It's a complete joke, one minute they say I owe one sum, then they change it. This summons was from a revised bill with no payment due dates at all, my last payment was an installment on a different bill.

I used to pay by Direct Debit but they keep changing the bills and instead of altering the DD amount like, for instance Gas suppliers do when your bill changes, they cancel everything then chase you for not paying.

Last year they sent me a demand and threat for £90 from 2001 - after not a word since 2001, AFAIK the account was settled, and they can't claim a penny after so long without contact but they still tried it.

I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't been unaware of the need to put a claim in for 25% council tax discount years back, for 4 years, so I've overpaid a whole year's worth of tax that I cannot claim back. But if I'm 10p short this year I get whacked for it. (My fault, what's done is done but you can see how it irritates) I also got made liable for a years worth of CT benefit paid to another tenant one year after he left, they cancelled his claim retrospectively and invoiced me for it

Now I have to go through all my payments and work out what I've paid because I have another bill arrived in December that I thought was superceded by the one that arrived in January but now seems wasn't.

But seems to me that if you paid over the phone last night, then your summons for today will have stood as they won't know you've paid them until Monday

I'm just shocked it's this bad. I know SC are bad but...my god.

I moved out of my parents around August time so this is the first time I've been paying council tax. A letter like that has scared the crap out of me.

If they had informed me of the correct amount that I should have been paying - I wouldn't have been in this mess.

What upset me the most was, when I finally got through, it was very much "ahh don't worry - It's only a bill these things happen". Yeah well...it has terrified me!!!

Sorry everyone else is having an issue. I've sent them a complaint via email (doubt it will be looked out). I'm just lucky i was able to sort it and didn't incur court costs etc. :(

Archived