Council Tax Hike

I watched a news item tonight where a young woman was in tears about how she could afford a proposed tax hike. (Cornwall)

In the same bulletin it was announced the government proposed spending 160 billion pounds on defence.

New high tec ways of slaughtering people.

Can this be right / moral?

I watched a news item tonight where a young woman was in tears about how she could afford a proposed tax hike. (Cornwall)

In the same bulletin it was announced the government proposed spending 160 billion pounds on defence.

Of course its not moral but then again morality never enters the frame when it comes to the arms trade.

There is no council tax hike (it's limited to less than 2% without a referendum).

I think there is a cut in the subsidy councils are likely to offer to less well off,or reduced council tax benefits,meaning some will pay £5 a week more.

Correct - some people will be a lot worse off - people who really can't afford the extra.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/new-poll-tax-blow-for-uks-poorest-8473963.html

I think there is a cut in the subsidy councils are likely to offer to less well off,or reduced council tax benefits,meaning some will pay £5 a week more.

A quick google shows you are quite correct. It's not a hike in council tax though, just some councils reducing the benefits they hand out.

A quick google shows you are quite correct. It's not a hike in council tax though, just some councils reducing the benefits they hand out.

No, central government is giving all councils 10% less of a subsidy for council tax benefit than previously. The councils then have to work out how to make up the shortfall. If a council wants to make up the shortfall by raising council tax generally, central government prevents them from increasing it by more than 2.9% without an expensive referendum, in which turkeys are asked to vote for Christmas.

There's localism in action for you.

No, central government is giving all councils 10% less of a subsidy for council tax benefit than previously. The councils then have to work out how to make up the shortfall. If a council wants to make up the shortfall by raising council tax generally, central government prevents them from increasing it by more than 2.9% without an expensive referendum, in which turkeys are asked to vote for Christmas.

There's localism in action for you.

Like the downgrading of Lewsiham A&E due to mismanagement in a nearby PCT.

What's worse, instead of Councils applying for the rebate as and when claims are made, central govt. are going to give Councils the full amount for the year at the beginning of the financial year. Then, if something unexpected happens near the end of the financial year, like a large local employer goes bust and 500 workers make CTB claims - no money left! You've just lost your job and you won't be able to get any council tax benefit!

Archived