Council Tax Hike

No, central government is giving all councils 10% less of a subsidy for council tax benefit than previously. The councils then have to work out how to make up the shortfall. If a council wants to make up the shortfall by raising council tax generally, central government prevents them from increasing it by more than 2.9% without an expensive referendum, in which turkeys are asked to vote for Christmas.

There's localism in action for you.

I'm a bit confused. There is a 10% cut from central government. But SCC are cutting the benefit by 20%. While spending a million quid on graphs about "fairness". That's the plan?

I'm a bit confused. There is a 10% cut from central government. But SCC are cutting the benefit by 20%. While spending a million quid on graphs about "fairness". That's the plan?

From the article you linked to:

Although the cut to council tax benefit is 10 per cent overall, government rules mean pensioners are exempt from the cuts. Pensioners make up half of the people in receipt of the support, meaning everybody else will actually suffer a blow of 20 per cent.

I realise you think everyone in SCC is an idiot, but that doesn't excuse you from reading stuff!

I watched a news item tonight where a young woman was in tears about how she could afford a proposed tax hike. (Cornwall)

In the same bulletin it was announced the government proposed spending 160 billion pounds on defence.New high tec ways of slaughtering people.

Can this be right / moral?

That must be wrong, they and their supporters keep telling us there is no money left.:rolleyes:

That must be wrong, they and their supporters keep telling us there is no money left.:rolleyes:

Of course its not moral but then again morality never enters the frame when it comes to the arms trade.

Until someone attacks you. I'm sure we could have cut arms spending in 1938 if we had really wanted.

That's odd because they made massive cuts to the defence budget and were heavily criticised by Miliband for doing it. So I assume Miliband wants to spend more on defence than the current government. Did you miss that one?

This is how Sheffield council squanders money. That's why they have nothing left in the coffers.

I assume other councils are doing the same.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/scandal-of-sheffield-council-s-consultancy-fees-1-5318282

Sheffield Council is paying consultants wages of up to £800 a day, new figures show today.

The Star can reveal the authority has been paying one adviser £800 a day for providing ‘high quality expertise’ to its special educational needs team.

Meanwhile, unions say several more consultants are currently on £600 to £700 a day working on a redesign of social care services.

In total, the council spent £4.7 million on consultants over the 12 months to the end of November.

Sheffield Council has just announced £50 million of cuts for 2013/14, including £30 million to front-line services which could see up to 14 libraries shut, closure of Don Valley Stadium and Stocksbridge Leisure Centre and the end of grants to provide activities for young people.

Some 600 council staff are set to lose their jobs on top of 1,400 posts which have been axed over the last two years.

Gota keep a half decent army ticking over to keep the Argentinians in check.

160bn should be enough to counter 3 drunken sailors and a man with a spud-gun :hihi:

---------- Post added 01-02-2013 at 13:38 ----------

According to this website defence spending is 46bn, welfare is 117 bn.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/year_spending_2013UKbn_12bc1n#ukgs302

Is that correct?

Archived