What would get you to walk to Hillsborough?

... serious question :)

I belong to a group of traders who have been trying to organise events in Hillsborough over the last 15 months or so (if you've been to one of the Treasure Hunts last year, that was us:))

We've been asked to come up with ideas that would encourage people to walk to and throughout Hillsborough.

So.... putting out to the audience, what would entice you to walk to, and through Hillsborough? :)

All ideas welcome...... and I am aware of the danger of saying this :hihi:

There's too much traffic going through Hillsborough for me. The roads are difficult to cross, especially where the tram lines separate where Bradfield Road, Middlewood Road, Langsett Road and Holme Lane meet. I find it worse than Woodseats because at least in Woodseats the traffic only comes from 2 directions. It comes from four in Hillsborough. The park is nice but from there to the Barracks it's a nightmare for traffic. If I went for a walk anywhere, Hillsborough would be one of the last places I'd choose.

It's something I do anyway if the weather is good and I don't have to carry much -its relaxing walking through the park and it's good exercise too :) ......a wander to the shops -quick coffee and a slow walk back lol ....

What plans have you so far ?

I live in the area and I really dislike walking through the centre especially around Hillsborough corner.

There's no one problem for me & therefore no one solution. It's a combination of things like all the people blocking the paths at bus stops, the dunks stumbling from legends to the bookies, the fast food all over the floor, cars that make banned turns and nearly run you over on the green man, and then there's the match days. It's also difficult to cross the road because of the restricted view caused by busses and trams and then you have no idea where the cars are going to have to make random turns to avoid various traffic managment schemes.

I think it would be great if you could ban busses & remove the bus stops on Holme lane and opposite the arcade, it would make it a much more pleasant, far less noisy & polluted place to walk through, but how about getting some of the shops & landlords to smarten their facades for a start. It's easy to see that this view is quite a relatively plesant one:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.403558,-1.502887&spn=0.00126,0.003484&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.403456,-1.502751&panoid=Qtegffx7B785Dlm9HfMuTQ&cbp=12,14.36,,0,0

and yet this view kind of sums up the problem for me:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.403456,-1.502751&spn=0.00126,0.003484&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.403384,-1.502634&panoid=Ju_9Xozlwtq5DHdHlx5qhA&cbp=12,124.32,,0,0

There's too much traffic going through Hillsborough for me. The roads are difficult to cross, especially where the tram lines separate where Bradfield Road, Middlewood Road, Langsett Road and Holme Lane meet. I find it worse than Woodseats because at least in Woodseats the traffic only comes from 2 directions. It comes from four in Hillsborough. The park is nice but from there to the Barracks it's a nightmare for traffic. If I went for a walk anywhere, Hillsborough would be one of the last places I'd choose.
just about sums it up for me too

plus

Pavements on Bradfield road are too narrow (the bit near the shakey) to be safe.

The queues in the post office are too long

The empty bit of the co-op makes that building look shoddy

Parking on walkley lane is now pay & display which is a shame

the arcade always leaks when it rains meaning there are buckets everywhere.

Noisy drunks and compulsive chip eaters hanging around shouting & swearing

Damn awkward if you are cycling with all the tram tracks and lack of parking

Positives are

good range of shops

decent opening hours for the bigger shops

good transport links

I walk through Hillsborough regularly. It's quicker than going through it in the car, what with having to turn off down Taplin, come back onto Holme Lane, cross Hillsborough Corner and down to the roundabout, all the way back up to Hillsborough Corner again, turn left, then negotiate about 50 sets of traffic lights (all timed to stop you at each one) before you can get into Morrisons.

... serious question :)

I belong to a group of traders who have been trying to organise events in Hillsborough over the last 15 months or so (if you've been to one of the Treasure Hunts last year, that was us:))

We've been asked to come up with ideas that would encourage people to walk to and throughout Hillsborough.

So.... putting out to the audience, what would entice you to walk to, and through Hillsborough? :)

All ideas welcome...... and I am aware of the danger of saying this :hihi:

Was this part of the councils 'Experience Campaign'?

Okay then, if you want a real suggestion, how about a street market a bit like the ones they have down at Sharrowvale Road? Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to block off the main road for the day because of the tram (and because the council have thoughtfully already blocked off any alternative routes like Hawksley Avenue) but you could suspend the tramgate for the day and have it down the side roads like Taplin.

Archived