What would get you to walk to Hillsborough?

The market idea seems like the best one to me Ron. Good luck with it, nice to see local traders getting together to promote their area.

Thanks. We're trying ;)

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 11:13 ----------

The empty bit in the co-op could be used for numerous things, art weekend showcasing local artists, mini indoor market, skills workshop.

Added to the list ;-) This would depend on the Co-Op being open to persuasion.....

Keep 'em coming folks. The bigger the list of ideas, the better chance we've got of achieving something :hihi:

I've always thought Hillsborough Road would be ideal for a street market spilling out from the open space behind the former Mann's fish shop. The street could be recobbled (the ones under the worn tarmac still look pretty good) and parking restricted throughout the day.:)

That is a great idea. We use Hillsborough nearly everyday for shopping. I prefer Coop to Morrisons if I can get away with it as I can't stand that queues and awful shelf stacking. Anyway, I saw the ad for the treasure hunt, but to be honest, my kids loathe shopping, so it wasn't a massive draw for them. I would be keen on the street market and so would my daughter. What about a carboot style event to lick off with, people seem to love those. You'd have to work out which carpark firm to target to let you use it for free early one morning.

The empty bit in the co-op could be used for numerous things, art weekend showcasing local artists, mini indoor market, skills workshop.

Very unlikely as the CO-OP plan is too demolish the rear half of the building and just have the post office and supermarket in the current bit that Burtons rent.

When this work will start in anyones guess in the current high street market.

May be a Hillsborough History trail is worth looking at.

Nothing better than a good walk to clear the cobwebs!

No problems parrking then.

Totally agree - I've walked down Hillsborough to work today.

Unfortunately the cars queing from Hillsborough Corner to past Malin Bridge show that alot of people don,t want to clear the cobwebs.

I used to live up that way and used to walk mostly. However, since I moved away, I have no reason to walk up there. I am not sure what, if anything could get me walking up there again. I mean, Hillsborough is not unique and I can easily walk somewhere else to get the things what I want and need.

Hillsborough Place,Taplin Road both ideal for markets.

I'm assuming you mean Hillsborough Road as Hillsborough Place needs to remain open to traffic which can't go through Hillsbrough Corner from Middlewood Road. Also Taplin Road needs to remain open for the very same reason as well as being the main route back to Stannington for those shoppers that come to shop in Hillsborough.

Hillsborough Road is the road that had Mann's fishmongers on it and behind there is a decent small place for a market.

Archived