Seeking my uncle Geoffrey Hillpig Smyth

Hillpig

A native of Sheffield he served in the Burmese army and was last heard of living in Burma with Kong tribe where he trained mahoots in the handling of elephants.He designed and sold the Hillpig Smyth trecking stick.

Retired to Sheffield and lived in an area called "Why Born". Lost contact in late 60s, does anyone know what happened to him?

is this him

That is indeed him. Mother told me he was posted as a deserter by the Burmese Army and moved addresses a good deal. Does Harbour Thorn mean anything to Sheffield?

He was a very "out" gay man apparently dressing in pink and always with a poodle, I am suprised no one remembers hm.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your private messages regarding Geoffrey. I have now located his grave in City Road cemetery and placed upon it a copy of the Aung San Thuriya medal. Which is, as many will know the equivlent of the Victoria or Iron Cross.

I feel his last days in Sheffield were happy. Thank you for welcoming him into your community.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who attended the Thanksgiving service earlier today. Geoffrey and Raymond would have been flattered to know that they were remembered and liked.

The presence of the Disney representatives and the Myanmar Charge De Affairs was an added bonus.

Thanks Sheffield.

Thanks to all who attended the Thanksgiving service earlier today. Geoffrey and Raymond would have been flattered to know that they were remembered and liked.

The presence of the Disney representatives and the Myanmar Charge De Affairs was an added bonus.

Thanks Sheffield.

Fantastic story :)

Archived