Seeking my uncle Geoffrey Hillpig Smyth

Hillpig

http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/blog/sir-jeffrey-hillpig-smyth-and-the-burmese-army-trekking-stick/

A Brief Sketch of Sir Jeffrey Hillpig-Smyth

–Born London, 1910.

–As a schoolboy-overweight, few friends, poor student, non-athletic yet polite, called “Hillpiggy” by the staff.

–Sent down from Oxford for indecency, 1930.

–Unsuccessfully stood for parliament as an independent for the small constituency of Looting on the Thames, finished fourth in a field of three, 1934.

–Alcoholic, 1935.

–Published at his own expense an angry and spirited collection of short essays, entitled, Sticks and Stones, 1937

–Alcoholic again, 1937.

–Published a second collection of short essays entitled, Mudpuddles and Other Outrages, 1938

–Joined British agency ofMilitary Intelligence and Engineering, 1939

–Assigned to British Special Forces, Mandalay, British East India (Burma), 1940

–Recovering from a minor fall, designed the Military Trekking Stick, 1941.

–Disappeared while on a morning mini-trek within the Special Forces compound. A party was organized and diligently combed the 3-acre area for 3 hours to no avail, 1944.

–Queen Elizabeth II knighted Hillpig-Smythe in absentia, for contributions to the British War Protocol, 1953.

–Unofficially, over the years there have been periodic sightings of Hillpiggy in the Burmese jungle. The latest, as recent as the last monsoon, has Hillpiggy on elephant leading a small group of well-disciplined guerrillas near Kuhn Sa’s stronghold at Nam King.

---------- Post added 07-07-2013 at 16:26 ----------

A native of Sheffield he served in the Burmese army and was last heard of living in Burma with Kong tribe where he trained mahoots in the handling of elephants.He designed and sold the Hillpig Smyth trecking stick.

Retired to Sheffield and lived in an area called "Why Born". Lost contact in late 60s, does anyone know what happened to him?

Not a native of Sheffield ...........x

http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/blog/sir-jeffrey-hillpig-smyth-and-the-burmese-army-trekking-stick/

A Brief Sketch of Sir Jeffrey Hillpig-Smyth

–Born London, 1910.

–As a schoolboy-overweight, few friends, poor student, non-athletic yet polite, called “Hillpiggy” by the staff.

–Sent down from Oxford for indecency, 1930.

–Unsuccessfully stood for parliament as an independent for the small constituency of Looting on the Thames, finished fourth in a field of three, 1934.

–Alcoholic, 1935.

–Published at his own expense an angry and spirited collection of short essays, entitled, Sticks and Stones, 1937

–Alcoholic again, 1937.

–Published a second collection of short essays entitled, Mudpuddles and Other Outrages, 1938

–Joined British agency ofMilitary Intelligence and Engineering, 1939

–Assigned to British Special Forces, Mandalay, British East India (Burma), 1940

–Recovering from a minor fall, designed the Military Trekking Stick, 1941.

–Disappeared while on a morning mini-trek within the Special Forces compound. A party was organized and diligently combed the 3-acre area for 3 hours to no avail, 1944.

–Queen Elizabeth II knighted Hillpig-Smythe in absentia, for contributions to the British War Protocol, 1953.

–Unofficially, over the years there have been periodic sightings of Hillpiggy in the Burmese jungle. The latest, as recent as the last monsoon, has Hillpiggy on elephant leading a small group of well-disciplined guerrillas near Kuhn Sa’s stronghold at Nam King.

---------- Post added 07-07-2013 at 16:26 ----------

Not a native of Sheffield ...........x

You are right, he was not born here, sorry to mislead you, He came to live here when he left Myanmar.

You are right, he was not born here, sorry to mislead you, He came to live here when he left Myanmar.

Also states he was a drunk and was incarcerated for indecency no mention of him living in Sheffield

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 10:41 ----------

A native of Sheffield he served in the Burmese army and was last heard of living in Burma with Kong tribe where he trained mahoots in the handling of elephants.He designed and sold the Hillpig Smyth trecking stick.

Retired to Sheffield and lived in an area called "Why Born". Lost contact in late 60s, does anyone know what happened to him?

If indeed he did live in the wyborn area you will have to go to the main Libraries and Archives in Sheffield there should be a trace of him there

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries.html

Also states he was a drunk and was incarcerated for indecency no mention of him living in Sheffield

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 10:41 ----------

If indeed he did live in the wyborn area you will have to go to the main Libraries and Archives in Sheffield there should be a trace of him there

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries.html

The information you quote is translated from the Mong Language. This makes it appear a little strange. When it was written his whereabouts were unknown. It was only some years later that following a Colonel Greer of the US Marine Corp traced him that we ever realized he had actually escaped and relocated here.

The irony is that my original intention when I left Sheffield was to find out what had happened to Geoffrey and Raymond. I eventually settled in Myanmar and thought that they had perished or maybe moved to Laos or Vietnam. It was only when Col Greer contacted me that I found out that Raymond had moved back to the UK and settled in Sheffield.

The information you quote is translated from the Mong Language. This makes it appear a little strange. When it was written his whereabouts were unknown. It was only some years later that following a Colonel Greer of the US Marine Corp traced him that we ever realized he had actually escaped and relocated here.

The irony is that my original intention when I left Sheffield was to find out what had happened to Geoffrey and Raymond. I eventually settled in Myanmar and thought that they had perished or maybe moved to Laos or Vietnam. It was only when Col Greer contacted me that I found out that Raymond had moved back to the UK and settled in Sheffield.

well that's the imformation I have located for you other than that who knows according to that he has to have passed away so have you tried sommerset house or whatever its called now

I should explain that Col Greer was in Myanmar investigating the disappearance of another westerner Jim Thompson who went missing in Thailand. Mr. Thompson was an American businessman who has never been found.

you said you were located in chesterfield so its not that far from Sheffield

well that's the imformation I have located for you other than that who knows according to that he has to have passed away so have you tried sommerset house or whatever its called now

Thank you, but I fear you may not have read my earlier postings, he is buried in City Road cemetery. If you go back to the earlier posts you will see what I mean.

I do appreciate your efforts to assist.

I should explain that Col Greer was in Myanmar investigating the disappearance of another westerner Jim Thompson who went missing in Thailand. Mr. Thompson was an American businessman who has never been found.

I think you'll find jim thompson's very strange disappearence happened in the Cameron Highlands ,,malaysia.in the 60's hillpig .

I always have a meal or coffee at the beautiful old "jim thompson house on the klong "whenever I'm in bangkok .jim more or less saved the thai silk industry .I think they used some of his silks in the film " the king and I"

Archived