2015 election Thatcher -v- Scargill

I vote  

48 members have voted

1. 1. I vote

• [X] ARTHUR SCARGILL (RED)
    • [X] MARGARET THATCHER (BLUE)

Finally got around to seeing "the Iron Lady" the other night. What a load of crap it was

Does Thatcher really spend her declining years talking to her dead husband? The story and events of her past and political life were depicted in haphard and sketchy manner.

The only good thing i can say is that Meryl Streep did a pretty good job playing the part of Thatcher

I hope one day that someone who really knows how to make movies comes along and does a better job.

She deserved better that that

The film was probably made by American's. They usually disregard facts when making a film. I remember seeing one where they captured an Enigma machine in WW2 and broke the Axis codes.

Finally got around to seeing "the Iron Lady" the other night. What a load of crap it was

Does Thatcher really spend her declining years talking to her dead husband? The story and events of her past and political life were depicted in haphard and sketchy manner.

The only good thing i can say is that Meryl Streep did a pretty good job playing the part of Thatcher

I hope one day that someone who really knows how to make movies comes along and does a better job.

She deserved better that that

I watched it too. I was surprised but I don't think its primary aim was to chronicle her political life..that was the canvas to paint the human side of Thatcher..her strengths, weaknesses and later in life her frailties. Most of the research was more likely the result of talking to those who were/are very close to her..after all, people get old and sometimes they dribble.

Can't fault Streep..she could play a yard brush and still mesmerize you.

The film was probably made by American's. They usually disregard facts when making a film. I remember seeing one where they captured an Enigma machine in WW2 and broke the Axis codes.

Not exactly fiction

They did in fact capture an enigma machine from a U-Boat. The Germans thought the U-Boat had been destroyed but it was towed back to a US port and the whole thing was kept secret.

The first enigma machine had been smuggled to England in pieces by a a member of the Polish resistance and reassembled by a bunch of brainy bods at Bletchley Park who then broke the code

Credit is given where credit is due

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 20:40 ----------

It was made by a former Yorkshire coal miner with an axe to grind with old Maggie :D Hence the amateurish production

I watched it too. I was surprised but I don't think its primary aim was to chronicle her political life..that was the canvas to paint the human side of Thatcher..her strengths, weaknesses and later in life her frailties. Most of the research was more likely the result of talking to those who were/are very close to her..after all, people get old and sometimes they dribble.

Can't fault Streep..she could play a yard brush and still mesmerize you.

Thatcher was without a doubt one of the better British PMs in the same league as William Pitt the younger, William Gladstone and Clement Attlee.

She had balls too. I wonder if any other PM could have or would have wanted even, to recapture the Falklands.

She put Britain back on the map and restored national pride after years of rotten economy, stale growth and crippling industrial strikes by unions who had long been out of control

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 22:19 ----------

Comrade Arthur every time.

Were you singing the Internationale when you posted?

It's 2015 and physics has found a way of distorting and merging time. The upshot is that the general election is being fought by two new parties, the Blues and the Reds. Each is led by a charismatic leader, with polarised ideas, connections, backgrounds and methods.

The Blues are led by Margaret Thatcher in her prime, the Reds are led by Arthur Scargill at his peak.

Voting has been made compulsory, so what are you going to do, and why?

Neither for me,ones too blue the other is too red.

Archived