2015 election Thatcher -v- Scargill

I vote  

48 members have voted

1. 1. I vote

• [X] ARTHUR SCARGILL (RED)
    • [X] MARGARET THATCHER (BLUE)

Yes, Harleyman, but you didn't live here and you don't now. We are sinking under what she did. You got your education here but you left your intelligence behind if you think she did anything good for those of us still living here

Why not face the truth.

The car industry went under due to nationalisation under the name British Leyland. They were turning out buckets of bolts off the assembly lines.

The competiton from Toyota, Renault, Volkswagen killed it.

Steel manufacturing declined because it could be made jusr as well and cheaper in foreign countries.

Thatcher wasnt running the USA but the American steel industry went the same way round about that time. Pittsburgh and other steel producung cities became what was known as the Rust Belt Nobody is going to buy steel that's much more costly if steel of equal quality can be bought cheaper. That applies to domestic as well as foreign markets

The miners unions with their constant strikes savaged the industry to the point where it just became feasible for coal which was also cleaner burning to be imported from abroad.

I happened to be in England for Christmas 1973. It was sad and horrible. Brown outs, offices, shops and stores without electricity, Christmas lights none existent, people shivering from the cold in their homes and even electric train service affected all beacuse the miners were out.... again.

I dont know if the Comrades were behind these strikes but militant union activity did a lot of damage to British industry at a critical time when there was intense competition from a resurgent Germany on the move and a booming industrially expanding Japan

It's not as if the miners were exactly poor either. The richest family on my street in Parson Cross was the family of a miner. Their kids got Christmas presents we could only dream of. That was probably way before your time, early 1950s

I see Denlin completely ignored the above post....Why? I hear you ask, well because it happens to be the truth.

Yes, Harleyman, but you didn't live here and you don't now. We are sinking under what she did. You got your education here but you left your intelligence behind if you think she did anything good for those of us still living here

I'll say this. I feel sorry for the miners who lost their jobs and the hardship that followed.

I think to a certain extent they were the victims of their own union. For many years the unions were run by miltants with agendas other than just.

merely improving the lot of their members.

When it was time for the election of union officials the Comrades always made sure that their fellow Comrades went to the electoral meetings. On the other hand unfortunately there was a widespread apathy among the non Comrade members in this respect and they were not represented in the numbers that they should have been. Consequently many union positions were filled by the Comrades.

---------- Post added 03-02-2013 at 21:14 ----------

I see Denlin completely ignored the above post....Why? I hear you ask, well because it happens to be the truth.

Truth hurts :D

Denlin wouldn't you acknowledge that the mining industry,and steel,were no longer the profitable industries they had once been and were losing money with the falling demand,and that sooner or later they would have had to close no matter who was in power.

I do think the miners strike and the eventual outcome caused a lot of distress though and was handled insensitively by the Thatcher goverment,but i also accept that the too militant Arthur Scargill bares much of the responsibility for that.He went too far and did a lot of damage to the future of unions who in their beginnings and onwards have done a immense service in improving the working conditions of working people.

So in spite of disagreeing with some of her policies and not putting her on the pedestal some people do, i don't blame Thatcher in the way you do,and i know many Labour supporters who think the same.

Archived