Hadfield House Pub

chris101

I was wondering the same - walked past it a few times.

Strange how things change - 6/7 years ago this was by far and away the busiest pub in the area but the last few years seem to have seen a succession of lacklustre managers who think karaoke will pull in the punters.

Guest makapaka

Bit sad round commonside at minute - used to be great but 2 of 4 pubs closed. The closed shop has the best potential for me cos I agree with previous post that if you got it going the Hallamshire would help rather than hinder. Not sure about hadfield - a big pub that would take some filling but used to be good not too long ago also

It used to be packed night after night. We stopped going when it became a "Mr Q's" pub with silly TV screens everywhere. Previously it was a bit dingy but it was like a second home to many ex-students who went there during their uni years then never left.

Amazing that a pub can't succeed in an area rammed with thirsty students.

I think far fewer students use the pubs up this end these days compared to ten years ago - even five. Most seem to drink cans / bottles at home before going down to bar one.

Having said that the last few managers at the Hadfield haven't exactly gone out of their way to make the place look welcoming. Replacing missing lightbulbs inside and out might help. And a good cleaning wouldn't go amiss.

I think far fewer students use the pubs up this end these days compared to ten years ago - even five. Most seem to drink cans / bottles at home before going down to bar one.

Having said that the last few managers at the Hadfield haven't exactly gone out of their way to make the place look welcoming. Replacing missing lightbulbs inside and out might help. And a good cleaning wouldn't go amiss.

I wonder if students have to work harder nowadays than the ones I studied with? There might also be the changing demographic of students with many more Chinese, Indonesian students etc who expect to come to Sheffield, study, graduate and go back home unlike the homegrown students of the past (some of them) who saw Uni as the chance to get drunk and/or stoned for three years.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived