Can Anybody Ever Remember The Smog In Sheffield?

Rampent

I find that incredible Susie1 ......

As said in my last post above I have no recollection of such smog.

You are just two years older than me. We lived within half a mile of each other, yet our recollections are miles apart.

My only protection against the weather was a pair of shorts in those long hot school holidays.

I suffer from bronchitis in various degrees that I blame on living beside Neepsend Power Station in my childhood,we resided in a cottage at the bottom of Liversey Street on their land!.They used to discharge thick yellow sulphurous clouds at regular periods,it was totally enveloping when it drifted low down,it made your eyes sore and runny,you choked on the foul smelling fumes there was no escape!.Eventualy they were forced to build a very high chimney with a filter system that cured it,but in my case the damage was done!.I could be wrong but I blame them for my condition they wouldn,t get away with it nowadays no way!.

I suffer from bronchitis in various degrees that I blame on living beside Neepsend Power Station in my childhood,we resided in a cottage at the bottom of Liversey Street on their land!.They used to discharge thick yellow sulphurous clouds at regular periods,it was totally enveloping when it drifted low down,it made your eyes sore and runny,you choked on the foul smelling fumes there was no escape!.Eventualy they were forced to build a very high chimney with a filter system that cured it,but in my case the damage was done!.I could be wrong but I blame them for my condition they wouldn,t get away with it nowadays no way!.

I lived at Grimesthorpe similar atmosphere from steel works but then everyone smoked and drank so its 6 o 1 and half dozen of other !:hihi:

I worked at Orgreave coke ovens as a chemist around 1975. It was the pits! Surrounded by carcinogens, laboratories on fire from all the flammable fumes etc. One evening even the water lagoon caught fire! Chap came to test our water outfall into the river and burnt his hands with the chemicals in it. Later when I worked at Blackburn Meadows Power Station I remember walking in smog and my eyes burning with the acidity of it.

In 1947 when I was six weeks old I was diagnosed with Pinks disease as were many of the same age at that time. This disease is caused by mercury poisoning, teething powders were blamed as they contained mercury then. The thing is my mum swore blind I never had them so I do sometimes wonder if it was airborne mercury via smog that was the culprit, a cover up by the authorities perhaps?

I think a few on here are getting smog mixed up with fog.I lived in the wicker most of my life,during the 40s to 70s, and I can never remember smog as bad as described on here.Fog yes.

If it was as you say, how come it left once the clean air act came in and people were not allowed to use coal anymore? No, I remember it well. It was very definitely smog. Hard to breathe. I've lived in coastal places where pure fog rolls in and it's an entirely different look and sensation.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember in the early sixties, after the smokeless coal, they were sandblasting all the buildings in the city for what seemed like a couple of years or so. Big Tarps hung up but water and sand running down the streets for ever,