Can Anybody Ever Remember The Smog In Sheffield?

Rampent

You could be right, I am 70 myself, but lived just outside the zone in Brinsworth, but I worked in Tinsley throughout the 60's and it was not nice at all and according to older employees, it used to be worse years earlier. I did live at Catcliffe up to being 12 or 13, and The stink of Orgreave coke ovens, stayed with you 24 hours a day, not so much smog though, mainly fog off the Rother, oh and of course the floods, but that is another story.

I remember working on a crane at Brown Bayleys near to the canal when they put the oxygen lance into one of the arc furnaces to burn off inpurities in the molten steel.This thick orange smog crawled out of the building and crossed the canal and railway line and just smothered these washing lines full of clothes.

I remember working on a crane at Brown Bayleys near to the canal when they put the oxygen lance into one of the arc furnaces to burn off inpurities in the molten steel.This thick orange smog crawled out of the building and crossed the canal and railway line and just smothered these washing lines full of clothes.

Hello Biker. now that you brought that up, I had relatives (my mother's sister) that lived in that very vicinity-March Street from 1943-69- as where the 'Orange smog' would crawl out. My aunt and her eldest son died of a lung cancer that could not be explained at the time, 1963, not only being in harm's way from where they lived, all the family worked at Brown-Bayley's and as my uncle used to say, that it was that crap that B.B's threw out that killed them.

Hi all,

I always thought the word 'smog' was derived from the words 'smoke and fog' and was a mixture of the two susbstances.

I lived at Grimesthorpe near the steelworks between 1943 and 1957. There was a lot of smoke from houses and steelworks but I recall experiencing smog on still damp mornings or evenings and, sorry to be explicit, my hanky would be wet and black! It seemed to me that the mixture of fog and smoke prevented the smoke escaping upwards, as the smog could clear in afternoons as the weather got warmer and drier.

just checked in my dictionary. Smog is not shown, but It states 'smoke, visible vapour from a burning substance' and 'fog, a vapour suspended at or near earth's surface, mist. Also, 'mist, a water vapour smaller than drops'.

What do you think??

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Peter .

We are talking particles.

The moisture we call mist is the pure, clean sort.

Mix it with the particles of any vapour from a burning substance and you have a ''tug of war''

The moisture is drawn downwards but the heat from the burning substance is drawn up.

Neither is going anywhere, hence , they hang in the air.

I am no expert Peter.

My suggestion is open for discussion.

Hi Peter .

We are talking particles.

The moisture we call mist is the pure, clean sort.

Mix it with the particles of any vapour from a burning substance and you have a ''tug of war''

The moisture is drawn downwards but the heat from the burning substance is drawn up.

Neither is going anywhere, hence , they hang in the air.

I am no expert Peter.

My suggestion is open for discussion.

Your analysis sounds good to me Carmen.

Still wonder where the word 'smog' came from as it's not in my dictionery. Think it is a mixture of smoke/ fog as said on my previous post.

Edited by PeterR

An excerpt from my new book that speaks to this topic:

"What sticks out most in my mind about the journeys to and from school was the habitual presence of smog during the autumn months. Well before the infamous London smog outbreak of 1952 caught the attention of the public and government, Sheffield’s steel factories and home coal fires were spew-ing out their toxic fumes into the atmosphere. We used to call it fog before we learned about such things as pollutants and temperature inversions. Mum would guide me to school on those mornings, like a Labrador retriever, plodding her way through the pea soup, occasionally encountering a neighbour or passing stranger, on the alert for hidden dangers.

“Watch out for t’tram comin’. Cover thee mouth an’ nose wi’ thee scarf.”

Why cover one’s respiratory passages with anything if it were only water vapour? That thought never occurred to me or anyone else for that matter..."

• 2 months later...