Boxing Gyms in Sheffield

Mohamad ali is a name what every one knows.he is the most respected sports person in the world. Mma is new but most people dont even know what mma means never mind an mma champion.

He's not the most respected sports person in the world- there's no such thing as the most respected sports person in the world. Plenty of people can name many mma champions- Lyoto Machida, Royce Gracie etc, etc.

Rhonda Rousy is fighting this weekend- the first time a woman has fought in the UFC. Though, in other mma organisations, womens fights are well established- woman get a lot more respect in mma (and in Thai boxing) than they ever have in boxing, where, for some reason, many of the organisers clearly don't consider it a sport for women to participate in.

but yes mma is on the up but how many mma gyms are around the uk its not a recognised sport unfortunately I am not knockin it but its not my cup of tea.what level can u get too in this sport.is it am or pro. Do they have a national team.

Plenty of mma gyms in the UK, and, in Sheffield. If you include all the bjj (Brazilian Ju-jutsu) and muay thai/kickboxing gyms that mma practitioners tend to use, then you're spoilt for choice.

Fighters get to the level that their skills and committment allows i.e. up to world champion, just like boxing.

You are knocking it- like many in the boxing world, you're constantly sniping at mma and implying that it's inferior to boxing- in your case, you're going beyond implication and actually clearly stating it :)

Why, I don't know- most mma practitioners have nothing but respect for boxing- the vast majority train in boxing, as, with the appropriate modifications, it's essential for fighting in the cage.

It perplexes me as to why so many in the boxing establishment feel the need to put mma down :confused:

He's not the most respected sports person in the world- there's no such thing as the most respected sports person in the world. Plenty of people can name many mma champions- Lyoto Machida, Royce Gracie etc, etc.

Rhonda Rousy is fighting this weekend- the first time a woman has fought in the UFC. Though, in other mma organisations, womens fights are well established- woman get a lot more respect in mma (and in Thai boxing) than they ever have in boxing, where, for some reason, many of the organisers clearly don't consider it a sport for women to participate in.

Plenty of mma gyms in the UK, and, in Sheffield. If you include all the bjj (Brazilian Ju-jutsu) and muay thai/kickboxing gyms that mma practitioners tend to use, then you're spoilt for choice.

Fighters get to the level that their skills and committment allows i.e. up to world champion, just like boxing.

You are knocking it- like many in the boxing world, you're constantly sniping at mma and implying that it's inferior to boxing- in your case, you're going beyond implication and actually clearly stating it :)

Why, I don't know- most mma practitioners have nothing but respect for boxing- the vast majority train in boxing, as, with the appropriate modifications, it's essential for fighting in the cage.

It perplexes me as to why so many in the boxing establishment feel the need to put mma down :confused:

im not putting it down at all I just say its not my cup of tea.i know its a difficult sport I even had a look in a gym used by mma .I watched a bit on euro sport and goid luck to who ever is involvedwith it.but although its on the rise at the moment its not recognised and probebly doesnt get the credit it deserves.see boxing u have a chaln.u box amateur win titles represent your country turn pro win titles get to world level

im not putting it down at all I just say its not my cup of tea.i know its a difficult sport I even had a look in a gym used by mma .I watched a bit on euro sport and goid luck to who ever is involvedwith it.but although its on the rise at the moment its not recognised and probebly doesnt get the credit it deserves.see boxing u have a chaln.u box amateur win titles represent your country turn pro win titles get to world level

I'm sorry, but you very much do appear to be putting mma down- otherwise why all the nonsense about boxing being the most respected sport in the world.

Respected by who- you? If so, then fair enough, i can fully accept that you really respect boxing, but in no way does that make it the most respected sport in the world.

Also, what's this about mma not being 'recognised'?!

It's not 'recognised' by the boxing establishment, but, then again, it's not boxing, so why should it be?

It's most certainly recognised by the several mma ruling bodies, such as the large and well-established UFC organisation- as are the various world titles earned by the top mma fighters.

I'm totally happy if you don't have any problems with mma- that's the way it should be, but, if that's the case, could you at least, when mentioning it, leave out the little put-downs?

The eis has probably the best boxing facilities this country has ever seen and it's been funded by the government to produce world class amateur fighters fot tournements such as the Olympics and world championships.why? Sky tv channel 5 boxnation all have boxing on regular. Why? Houehold names such as ali tyson lennox lewis amir khan ricky hatton leanard mayweather naseem hamed kel.to name a few.how come they are so well known.every big boxing show gets loads of pro footballers there why?

The eis has probably the best boxing facilities this country has ever seen and it's been funded by the government to produce world class amateur fighters fot tournements such as the Olympics and world championships.why? Sky tv channel 5 boxnation all have boxing on regular. Why? Houehold names such as ali tyson lennox lewis amir khan ricky hatton leanard mayweather naseem hamed kel.to name a few.how come they are so well known.every big boxing show gets loads of pro footballers there why?

Why? Because boxings fairly popular. MMA also has big names, huge audiences, celebrity supporters etc, etc. Why, cos it's also fairly popular. A lot of other, non-combat sports are popular as well. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

(Though I'd question the implication that the presence of pro footballers in the audience is a criteria by which the value of a sport should be judged :) )

Look- the fact is, boxings big, and, mma's big. Both have some very positive benefits when it comes to training in them, concerning health, fitness, self defense and character building.

Shall we just do an online shake of hands and leave it at that?

Why? Because boxings fairly popular. MMA also has big names, huge audiences, celebrity supporters etc, etc. Why, cos it's also fairly popular. A lot of other, non-combat sports are popular as well. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

(Though I'd question the implication that the presence of pro footballers in the audience is a criteria by which the value of a sport should be judged :) )

Look- the fact is, boxings big, and, mma's big. Both have some very positive benefits when it comes to training in them, concerning health, fitness, self defense and character building.

Shall we just do an online shake of hands and leave it at that?

Lol no problem

---------- Post added 21-02-2013 at 22:36 ----------

Anyway dave and all reading this thread come down to don Valley stadium and watch a good show.some very good fights even a title fight

• 2 months later...

Just been to manor boxing , great set of lads, Excellent price , and the one to one training made me feel at home and made it alot easier to put more effort in as at other gyms i have been to i feel out of place as im on the larger side :( ..." for now " . The gym is a great size with loads of space inside so you are not bumping into people whilst moving about , like most gyms , also another good thing is there is loads of parkin space outside , and also a dreaded track in the yard for your 1 mile warm up in the sun lol that killed me alone .......... ha ha but felt good .No pain no gain :) .........So 10 out of 10 from me .

You did well pal keep it up and it gets easier lol

Cheers steve , will be there on tuesday , what time will you lads be there as im not workin tuesday , ps i may need your number as i have just been down to gym for another session spk soon pal ;) .